Position Announcement--University of Connecticut Libraries
Please excuse cross-posting
Operating Systems Programmer/Analyst 3 (UCP IX)
UNIX Systems Administrator
The University of Connecticut Libraries is seeking a highly skilled individual to join the Enterprise Team as a UNIX Systems Administrator. As a member of the Enterprise Team and under the direction of the Enterprise Team Leader, the incumbent provides hardware, operating system, and application level deployment and support for the Libraries' UNIX OS (Solaris and Red Hat Enterprise Linux) Servers. Working with other ITS and Libraries staff, this individual supports server deployment and use in a busy Library setting planning, provisioning, and maintaining Sun SPARC/Solaris and virtual RHEL x86 servers with VMWare tools and developing shell scripts as needed. This individual also installs Libraries' relational databases such as Oracle, MySQL and other relational database management systems, and UNIX based applications, such as Apache, Tomcat and other applications. Programming tasks may consist of using OS specific system calls, ANSI compatible APIs, use of open source tools (g++, gdb, etc), vendor supplied tools, or third party tools.
1. Bachelor's degree in computer related field or equivalent combination of education and training
2. 3 years relevant UNIX system administration including experience applying UNIX OS patches.
3. Demonstrated working knowledge of UNIX scripting.
4. Demonstrated working knowledge of Internet networking including TCP/IP, subnetting, vlan and routing protocols.
5. Demonstrated good written communication skills.
6. Demonstrated ability to develop and lead complex projects successfully.
1. Demonstrated experience with Solaris and/or Red Hat Linux operating systems.
2. Demonstrated experience and/or working knowledge of server virtualization technology (such as VMWare, Xen, MS Virtual Server).
3. Demonstrated database management experience (ex. user, table creation; backups, upgrades) preferably with Oracle and/or MySQL
4. Demonstrated experience with 802.1q.
5. Demonstrated experience with 802.11g.
6. Demonstrated experience with Database Connectivity interfaces (ex. ODBC, JDBC)
8. Demonstrated ability to determine requirements, learn and implement new systems/products as related to a UNIX infrastructure.
9. Demonstrated working knowledge of Windows desktop and server operating systems.
For more information about the University of Connecticut, the University Libraries or for a complete position description, please visit our web page at http://www.lib.uconn.edu/about/recruitment.
Compensation: The anticipated hiring salary for this position is $65,000 to $80,000. University benefits include 22 paid vacation days/year, 12 paid State holidays, health and retirement plans, and tuition reimbursement.
Application Procedures: Submit a letter of application, resume and the names, addresses and telephone numbers of three professional references to: Elizabeth Tonucci, Library Human Resources Specialist, University of Connecticut Libraries, 369 Fairfield Way, Unit 2005A, Storrs, CT 06269-2005. Screening will begin immediately and continue the position is filled. (Search # 2008579)
Enterprise Team Leader
University of Connecticut Libraries
369 Fairfield Way U-2005-05SY
Storrs, CT 06269-2005
Voice: (860) 486-6494
Fax: (860) 486-2407
How to apply
Published: Monday, July 14, 2008 20:15 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:48 UTC