DescriptionSoftware Engineer, Ruby on Rails
Fixed duration, 1 year from date of hire
STARS Requisition number 20162BR
The Software Engineer will participate in a project, conducted in partnership with Stanford University, to deploy an interoperable suite of data services and online tools designed to allow sharing of annotations to digital images. The Software Engineer will also develop applications in support of research activity that makes use of Yale's digital cultural heritage collections.
The Yale Digital Collections Center (YDC2) at West Campus provides expertise and facilities for the creation, management and use of digital cultural heritage. Digital technologies provide opportunities to analyze, document and study the collections of the University in ways never before possible. YDC2 services ensure that digital information about these collections is managed, preserved and broadly accessible to the global community of researchers exploring questions about our heritage.
1. Develops programs or systems of small to moderate size and complexity. Modifies existing systems at all levels of difficulty.
2. Provides informational input into decisions concerning the development and delivery of applications, programs and systems. Defines and analyzes requirements to meet the expectations of stakeholders and intended end user needs, scheduled timeline, and budgetary targets.
3. Analyzes, defines and designs new systems and applications. Writes code in support of business solutions.
4. Responsible for the creation, definition, communication, and management of project plans which includes architectural design, technology selection and methodologies to apply.
5. Troubleshoots problems and provide ongoing maintenance and support for applications and systems.
6. Prepares documentation, user manuals and develops formal proposals for new systems and modifications to existing systems. Mentors technical staff and provide training for end users.
7. Contributes in the development of policies or modifications to exiting policies.
8. Applies and keeps current with existing and emerging technologies and methodologies. Provides ongoing input to the establishment of programming standards, procedures, and methodologies.
9. May perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
Bachelor's Degree in a related field and two years of related work experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required Skill/Ability 1: Demonstrated proficiency in web development using Ruby on Rails.
Required Skill/Ability 2: Proven ability with MySQL, SQL Server and/or NoSQL databases.
Required Skill/Ability 3: Knowledge of Apache Solr, Lucene, or other full-text search software.
Required Skill/Ability 4: Proven ability with Linux environment and basic administrative tasks.
Required Skill/Ability 5: Excellent written and oral communication skills; ability to work in a collaborative team environment.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills: Java/J2EE development experience; experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS EC2, S3, SQS, DynamoDB);Understanding of RDF and linked data concepts;Experience with Hydra or Blacklight
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:45 UTC