The Vassar College Libraries seeks an experienced and collaborative Head of Acquisitions and Discovery. Reporting to the Director of the Libraries, the Head of Acquisitions and Discovery manages acquisitions and licensing of library collections, processing of received materials, and description of materials in the libraries' collections. The Head of Acquisitions and Discovery works closely with library colleagues to ensure that all types of collections are acquired and made available in a timely manner to support the college's academic programs. The incumbent oversees collections budgets, aligns library collections spending with allocated and endowed funds, provides data and statistics to support decision-making, serves as point of contact for content vendors, and participates in contract negotiations. The Head of Acquisitions and Discovery supervises a Metadata Librarian, who is responsible for making collections discoverable via descriptive metadata, as well as six (6) staff. Two (2) additional staff report to the Metadata Librarian.
The Head of Acquisitions and Discovery plays a key role in informing strategic decisions that guide the allocation and use of library collections funds, and, collaborates broadly with colleagues to ensure that library materials are readily discoverable and accessible to meet users' needs. The incumbent serves as part of the Vassar College Libraries' senior management team and participates in discussions that impact all areas of the libraries.
- 3+ years experience managing library technical services operations.
- Experience managing staff and budgets.
- Knowledge of budgeting practices as well as statistical compilation and analysis.
- Advanced knowledge library systems, particularly III acquisitions and cataloging modules.
- Advanced knowledge of common library collections-support resources, such as OCLC tools and services, GOBI, etc.
- The ability to provide clear goals, priorities, expectations, and advocacy for staff.
- Ability to collaborate across multiple constituencies.
- Excellent communications skills and a willingness to work closely with colleagues in other departments.
- A masters degree in library or information science.
How to apply
Published: Monday, October 15, 2018 20:39 UTC
Last updated: Monday, October 15, 2018 20:39 UTC