Digital Social Science and Humanities Specialist
Created: September 12, 2013
Michigan State University East Lansing0 other recent jobs
DescriptionThe Department of History at Michigan State University is seeking a specialist in Digital Social Science and Humanities to coordinate its new digital initiative, LEADR (Lab for the Education and Advancement in Digital Research). The successful candidate will have knowledge of digital research methods and tools; experience developing collaborative research projects; strong oral and written communications skills; expertise with website development and design; and the ability to work with students and faculty members. The full time, annual year position is renewable annually, contingent upon funding and job performance. Salary is commensurate with experience. Travel and research budget negotiable.
LEADR is a joint, forward-looking, student-centered venture of MSU History and Matrix. The cutting-edge lab will be housed in Old Horticulture Hall, home of the MSU History Department. It will be a place for History and other MSU undergraduate and graduate students to develop innovative digital and web-based projects in collaboration with other students, faculty, and the digital humanities specialist who manages the lab.
- Establishing and managing LEADR;
- Working with students and faculty members on digital research projects;
- Working with Matrix and History faculty and students on grant applications;
- Managing graduate and undergraduate lab employees;
- Working with faculty to develop curriculum around LEADR;
- Working with faculty to develop undergraduate internships around LEADR.
- If the successful applicant has a PhD in History, which is not a requirement, the job could involve offering an undergraduate course.
- Advanced degree (MA, PhD or ABD in a PhD program) in digital humanities, social sciences, library information, history or other humanities fields;
- Knowledge of data mining and data visualization research and tools;
- Knowledge of website or software development methodologies and applications.
Applicants must apply at www.jobs.msu.edu. Job #8340. There you will receive instructions about uploading a cover letter, CV and three confidential letters of recommendation. In addition, email a cover letter and link to a website containing your CV and links to projects you have been involved with to firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org. Review of applications will begin on October 15 and continue until a hire is made.
Salary: $40K-$60K, annual year
Michigan State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Applications from women and members of minority groups are strongly encouraged. Persons with disabilities have the right to request and receive reasonable accommodation.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:44 UTC