DescriptionPosition: Systems Librarian, Temporary, One Semester Sabbatical Replacement
Reports to: Director of Library Services
Paul Smith’s College is located in the heart of the Adirondack Mountains. Even though we’re small, we strive to do great things and offer excellent service to our patrons. We are looking for a creative, innovative, and knowledgeable Systems Librarian to help maintain and create amazing user-centered services. The ideal candidate will be a jack of all trades, able to troubleshoot software and hardware problems, develop new and/or alter existing software and, working with the rest of the library team, design, develop, research, and implement new services from start to finish. We also want a friendly, sociable person who is as comfortable standing in front of the classroom teaching an instruction session as they are helping patrons with reference questions. If this describes you, please apply.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Manage library automation system, databases, and other electronic resources, including vendor relations, systems design, upgrades, equipment evaluation, security, backups and software installation. All in a network environment.
2. Work collaboratively with the IT department to maintain library specific servers and software.
3. Research, assess, and create\implement current and new technologies to support or enhance library services.
4. Diagnose, troubleshoot, and resolve e-resource access problems.
5. Develop structure and some content for library web pages.
6. Diagnose, troubleshoot and resolve problems with library specific hardware and software.
7. Assist with information literacy instruction, reference, circulation, and other duties as assigned.
8. Compile statistics from various sources for use in assessment.
9. Share evening and weekend work as required.
10. Assist with other library technical and audio-visual services.
1. MLS degree from an ALA-accredited library school.
2. Knowledge of current trends and issues in library systems and information technology, and demonstrated skills in managing and developing systems required.
3. Knowledge of e-resource management systems and link resolvers required.
4. Knowledge of SIRSIDynix Symphony integrated library system preferred.
6. Experience with MYSQL or other similar relational database software.
7. Experience designing and writing software using the above languages preferred.
8. Interest in working with patrons in one-on-one and group situations.
9. Strong personal service philosophy and solid interpersonal and communication skills.
10. Desire to the share varied workload of a small college in a team atmosphere.
11. Ability to carry 20 lbs. 200 yards and/or up three flights of stairs.
Internal applicants may submit a letter of application and an updated resume to the Human Resources Office. External applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Applicants may submit a letter of intent, resume and contact information for three professional references. Electronic submissions are strongly encouraged and should be sent in Microsoft Word format to: firstname.lastname@example.org Mailing address: Director of Human Resources, Paul Smith’s College, PO Box 265, Paul Smiths, NY 12970 Faxed to: (518) 327-6161.
Paul Smith’s College values diversity in the College community and seeks to assure equal opportunity through its continued Affirmative Action program. EOE/AA/M/F/D/V
How to apply
Director of Human Resources
Published: Monday, June 4, 2012 20:54 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:47 UTC