DescriptionJob title: Archivist
Reports to: Digital Archives Project Manager
Hours: Part-time, Contract
Pay rate: $2,000 stipend (paid at the end of the five-month period)
Time Period: Five months, August-December 2013, or until completion of project
Description: The Archivist's role is to manage, catalogue and help preserve the photo collection of the International Examiner, and select community partners, to tell the story of Asian Pacific Islander (API) history in the Greater Seattle Area. The archivist will work with the Project Manager and Heritage Specialist to identify and research select photos for inclusion in an online gallery, ensuring that images are digitally scanned, factual information is verified, and permissions are obtained.
Major Responsibilities (Scope of Work):
- Designing an efficient methodology and work plan for organizing, cataloguing and scanning the photo collection of the International Examiner, and community partners, in a way that aligns with best practices for handling historic materials.
- Creating and managing record-keeping systems and procedures for managing all information with respect to identifying and attributing photographs.
- Advising and training users on how best to access, use and interpret archives.
- Communicating with photographers and community organizations to obtain photographs and permissions to use their work in the online gallery.
- Working with the Heritage Specialist and volunteers to ensure that historic archive background information is accurate, and transferred online in a timely manner.
- To conscientiously meet project goals and deadlines as agreed upon with the Digital Archives Project Manager.
- Excellent communication and collaboration with the Digital Archives Project Manager, Heritage Specialist,advisory committee members, volunteers and community organizations.
- To meet with the Digital Archives Program Manager and Heritage specialist regularly to coordinate work and report on progress. Communication between parties will be prompt and timely.
- The Editor will provide key community contacts/introductions and will help engage the community advisory committee members on specific activities as needed throughout the duration of the project
- The International Examiner will provide staff and volunteer support, including that of the Editor, the Digital Archives Project Manager, Heritage Specialist and student volunteers/interns.
- Please send a cover letter and resume to the Project Manager, Stephen Jeong: Jeong.stephen(at)gmail.com with "Archivist Position" in the subject line.
- The deadline for submissions is August 19, 2013.
- We welcome applications from students who have an interest and/or previous experience with cataloguing and archiving work.
How to apply
Published: Friday, August 2, 2013 07:49 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:44 UTC