DescriptionThe UIC Library is looking for a senior digital library programmer to work with us as we extend our digital library, digital archiving, and digital preservation services on campus. To apply and see the full position description, visit https://jobs.uic.edu/job-board/job-details?jobID=33498.
We're using DSpace, OJS, Vireo, Archivists' Toolkit, XTF and other systems. We will also be the development site for the Chicago Collections Consortium Portal (http://chicagocollectionsconsortium.org/).
Position description excerpts:
The University Library seeks an Information Technology Technical Associate (Senior Digital Library Applications Developer) to design information, research and storage systems to support the Library’s goal of providing quality resources and expertise to students, faculty and staff. The Senior Digital Library Applications Developer will act as project manager in designing or modifying information systems. This position reports to the Assistant University Librarian for Information Technology.
2. Demonstrated knowledge of software development using Python or Java
3. Any combination totaling two years from the following categories:
a) progressively more responsible work experience in IT-related profession
b) college course work in Information Technology (IT), IT Management, or a closely related discipline, as measured by the following conversion table or its proportional equivalent:
· 60 semester hours or Associate’s Degree equals one year
· 90-120 semester hours or Bachelor’s Degree equals two years.
1. Works with Assistant University Librarian for IT in prioritizing projects that will be completed.
2. Meets and negotiates with stakeholders (faculty, students, staff) to understand their needs and build information systems that improve access to Library resources.
3. Leads teams in the design of new systems and projects to modify existing systems.
4. Designs, develops, tests, integrates, supports, and documents user-facing applications and back-end systems.
5. Designs and develops complex databases for the storage of research data and reports.
6. Integrates Library information into other campus information systems.
7. Maintains knowledge of emerging technologies to support the Library’s evolving virtual services.
8. Perform other related duties and participate in special projects as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree (computer science, information science, or closely related field preferred).
- Advanced degree in computer or information science, or ALA- accredited MLS is preferred.
- A minimum of 2 years experience designing and administering relational databases built in MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQL Server, or Oracle and maintaining systems to manage and transform data in multiple formats.
- Experience working with LAMP or variant environments.
- Experience with HTML5/CSS3.
- Experience with DSpace, Solr, and/or Fedora.
- Knowledge of information technology accessibility issues and techniques.
- Knowledge of Semantic Web and Linked Data concepts and technologies.
- Experience or coursework in user testing/user evaluation.
- Knowledge of library practices and data formats (MARC, EAD, Dublin Core, METS, MODS, etc.).
- Experience working in the context of a software development methodology.
- Experience with standard software development tools and techniques (e.g., git, testing frameworks).
- Demonstrated experience in project management or team leading.
- Demonstrated experience working effectively in a team environment and the ability to interact effectively with stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to support to a user-centered service in a research-intensive, fast-paced, culturally diverse higher education environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.--
Robert J. Sandusky, Ph.D.
Assistant University Librarian for Information Technology
Associate Professor and Associate Dean
UIC University Library
How to apply
Published: Monday, July 22, 2013 17:11 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:45 UTC