DescriptionThe United Nations is looking for a Java developer to fill a temporary contract working on DSpace repositories. If you're interested, please send along a resume. The full description is below.
Please note that this job is in New York City.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The position is located in the Digital Knowledge Unit of the Dag Hammarskjöld Library. The Incumbent reports to and works under the general supervision of the Chief of Digital Knowledge Unit. Within delegated authority, the Associate Information Systems Officer is responsible for the following duties:
- Java programming to support development and updating of the DSpace digital repository and other systems of the service;
- Develops software for the DSpace platform using Apache Cocoon and Java DSpace APIs;
- Participates in preparing user requirements and other technical specifications;
- Assists in the design, development and installation of information systems, including analysis, developing enhancements and new features to existing systems; Undertakes rigorous testing and proving of applications software;
- Maintains assigned portions of systems, providing operational support for system’s applications, analyzing and implementing system changes/upgrades, etc; Participates in developing disaster recovery plans;
- Prepares, updates and maintains system’s documentation and related technical/procedural manuals;
- Drafts training materials and conducts training sessions and demonstrations of systems for users;
- Performs ad hoc duties as required.
Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others.
Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect.
A minimum of two years of progressively responsible experience in the planning, design, development, implementation and maintenance of computer information systems or related area. A significant body of experience in a range of Java programming activities.
A first-level university degree in computer science, information systems, mathematics, statistics or related field.
Fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of French is desirable. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:45 UTC