Assistant Technical Librarian for Digital Infrastructure
Created: June 20, 2013
American Philosophical Society Philadelphia0 other recent jobs
DescriptionABOUT THE APS LIBRARY
The Society's Library, located near Independence Hall in Philadelphia, is a leading international center for research in the history of American science and technology and its European roots, as well as early American history and culture. Founded in 1743, the Society’s Library houses over 12 million manuscripts, 300,000 volumes and bound periodicals, and thousands of maps and prints. Outstanding historical collections and subject areas include the papers of Benjamin Franklin; the American Revolution; 18th and 19th-century natural history; western scientific expeditions and travel including the Journals of Lewis and Clark; polar exploration; the papers of Charles Willson Peale, his family and descendants; American Indian languages; anthropology including the papers of Franz Boas; the papers of Charles Darwin and his forerunners, colleagues, critics, and successors; history of genetics, eugenics, and evolution; history of biochemistry, physiology, and biophysics; 20th-century medical research; and history of physics. The Library does not hold materials on philosophy in the modern sense. More information about the Society and the APS Library can be found at www.amphilsoc.org.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Assistant Technical Librarian for Digital Infrastructure is a fulltime position in the Library that reports to the Associate Librarian for Technical Services.
• MLS/MSLIS through an ALA-accredited program, or MIS
• Windows and Linux (Debian) Server environments administration
• LAN administration and performance monitoring
• MySQL, MS SQL, XML, XSLT, PHP or similar scripting languages
• ILS (Koha) administration and other library software management systems
• Content Management Systems (especially Drupal)
• Knowledge of electronic records management, digitization strategies and digital preservation issues
• Public service experience in library setting
Working in collaboration with the Web Development Librarian and under the direction of the Associate Librarian for Technical Services, the successful candidate will have excellent communication skills in addition to technological abilities as he or she will be providing service and advice to a diverse constituency. This position requires an ability to quickly learn and adapt technologies as well as the capacity to anticipate, prevent, and solve problems. Recent graduates with an acceptable combination of training and experience will be considered.
Duties will include:
• Installing, maintaining, and troubleshooting all server hardware and software
• Deploying and monitoring all local and remote backup solutions
• Managing and troubleshooting all databases (backend and frontend)
• Eliminating system redundancies
• Assisting in the planning for future technology developments
• Other duties as assigned by the Associate Librarian for Technical Services or Library Director
The Society offers a competitive benefits package, including generous retirement and health insurance options and twenty-one vacation days.
Salary: Low 50s, depending on qualifications.
The American Philosophical Society is an Equal Opportunity Employee, and strongly encourages applications from women and minorities.
Applications review will begin on August 1, 2013. To apply, send letter of application, CV, and three references to:
Sandy Duffy, Assistant to the Librarian at firstname.lastname@example.org
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:45 UTC