DescriptionThe Hague, Netherlands, 13 February 2013 -
What will be the core responsibilities of this job?
Your responsibility is to research, design, develop, and maintain the data infrastructure that lies at the foundation of the Europeana digital library system portal, API and external interfaces as part of the Europeana core development team in agile manner. You work with the unique Europeana dataset of cultural heritage collections and develop semantic tools and techniques to serve this data to the Europeana end users.
You work closely with business requirement owners to assess feasibility, specify and scope of tools and feature requirements.
Improving and maintaining the quality of the code by utilizing the proofed coding and automated testing practices will be part of your core responsibilities as well.
You will also work with Europeana internal and partner projects to facilitate distribution of Europeana data using different semantic standards and technologies.
What set of skills and knowledge should you bring?
- University level education in computer science or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- 5+ years of research and software development experience
- Hands-on experience with designing and implementing semantic systems that handle large data
- Experience with working with humanities data or multilingual data is a strong advantage
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Ability and desire to work as part of a team and experience of modern development methodologies, such as Agile/SCRUM
- Development knowledge and experience
b) Knowledge and experience in semantic libraries and platforms (Lucene, SOLR) and industry standards (RDF, SKOS, Linked Open Data)
c) Knowledge on XML, XSLT, XML Schema, and other XML-related standards
d) Experience on relational databases (e.g. PostgreSQL, ) and/or document databases (e.g. MongoDB)
e) Experience on different SW development lifecycle tools and skills: Hudson, SVN, Unit testing, and integration tools, such as Maven
Basic knowledge of Front end and other related technologies is an asset:
- Open minded, rich with new ideas
- Able to see the big picture
- Able to balance between maintainable long term solutions, and short tern needs.
- Team player
We offer a good basic salary which is in line with the Collective Labour Agreement for Research Centres, scale 10 (€ 2.500 - € 3.800,- gross per month, holiday allowance and annual bonus not included) depending on your experience and skills. In addition, you will have 42 days holiday per year, a holiday allowance (8%), an annual bonus (around 8%) and good fringe benefits.
Along with this job comes the great opportunity to travel in Europe occasionally.
It's also important to know that we are based in the National Library of the Netherlands, in The Hague, close to the Central Station.
What is the Recruitment procedure?
Please send your CV with a covering letter (both in English) outlining what interests you about this position to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Should you have any additional questions or information you require before deciding whether to apply please send a mail to email@example.com.
Please respond to us before the 4th March 2013
More about us:
For more information see: http://europeana.eu/portal/aboutus.html
Published: Thursday, February 21, 2013 15:48 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:45 UTC