Internship in Honor of Melvin Ember 2023-2024
The Human Relations Area Files (HRAF) at Yale University is pleased to announce a one-year internship in honor of Melvin Ember. Melvin Ember was President of HRAF from 1987 until his death in 2009. The intent of the internship is to learn about cross-cultural research through practical experience. Some of the main tasks will be:
- helping Carol Ember prepare modules summarizing cross-cultural research
- reading and analyzing recent cross-cultural research with the goal of summarizing materials for researchers in Explaining Human Culture
- participating in on-going cross-cultural research projects
The internship will reimburse living expenses in the amount of $450 per week for approximately 50 weeks beginning late Summer 2023. Travel costs up to $900 will also be reimbursed for a move to and from New Haven. Hours are based on a 37.5 hour week.
Founded at Yale University, HRAF is an internationally recognized organization in the field of cultural anthropology. HRAF’s mission is to promote understanding of cultural diversity and commonality in the past and present. HRAF supports teaching and research through online applications and other resources with large curated online collections of annotated ethnographic and archaeological documents. HRAF researchers’ projects include comparisons of different cultures from around the world identifying and testing theories about cultural diversity and change. Topics have ranged from intergroup conflict and resource vulnerability to integrative research relating cultural responses to climate-related natural hazards.
Internship candidates must already have the right to work in the United States at the time of application and have (or will have) graduated from college by the beginning of the internship. Preference will be given to candidates with the following qualities:
- plan on graduate study in anthropology or a closely related field (or have already started graduate school)
- ability to perform statistical analyses (with a minimum of one formal statistics course)
- have accomplished academic records particularly in their major field and/or anthropology courses
How to Apply
To apply, complete the application form here and save it as “Internship-2023-Lastname-Firstname” in Word or .PDF format.
- Email your application with the subject line “Melvin Ember Internship” to Carol R. Ember (email@example.com) with a copy to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Deadline is 11:59 PM EDT on May 5, 2023.
- You should receive an acknowledgement of your application within a couple of days after submission..
Further information about HRAF and its activities is available on our homepage. Find out more about Melvin Ember.
How to apply
For general information: email@example.com
For applications: Carol.Ember@yale.edu
Published: Friday, April 28, 2023 17:27 UTC
Last updated: Friday, April 28, 2023 17:27 UTC