Boston College Libraries is seeking a Systems Librarian to join our enthusiastic, collaborative, and supportive team. We’re looking for someone who will enjoy solving interesting problems, experimenting with new ideas, and advocating for user needs.
As a Systems Librarian, you will:
- Collaborate with partners from across campus to research and implement practical, usable solutions to library needs
- Support and maintain library applications using a broad range of technologies
- Discover and advocate for the needs of students, faculty, and staff
- Contribute to the team’s documentation, support, and maintenance methodologies
- Report to the Head of Library Systems and Applications
You’ll love this role if you’re looking to grow as a technology professional. You’ll have the opportunity to address the unique challenges of searching and using library collections online. We work closely with colleagues across the library and university, including research librarians, metadata specialists, IT professionals, and scholars.
Boston College Libraries operate in accordance with our Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion values statement (https://library.bc.edu/edi), which is central to our mission. We acknowledge historical, structural, and systemic injustices and are actively working to build a culture that recognizes, values, and empowers all people and provides space for discourse and growth. We expect applicants for this position to demonstrate a commitment to sustaining a respectful, accountable, and intentionally inclusive culture.
This is an in person position on the Main Campus in Chestnut Hill, MA.
We’re looking to make the right addition to our team. Salary is commensurate with your experience implementing Library systems in a Linux/Unix environment. Regardless of your experience level, we’re committed to supporting your growth in this role.
- Less than 3 years: Associate Systems Librarian - $59,550 - $74,450
- 3-5 years: Systems Librarian - $69,100 - $86,350
- 5 or more years: Senior Systems Librarian - $78,100 - $97,650
Candidates without the MLS degree will have Systems Administrator for title.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree in Library Science, Information Science, Computer Science, or related field preferred
- Occasional weekend or off-work hours are required to handle system outages and routine maintenance.
You will thrive in this role if you have some of these skills, abilities, and experiences:
- You can effectively communicate technical concepts to a non-technical audience
- You’re committed to documentation, including authoring README files, and updating wiki pages
- You can configure and manage Linux web servers such as Apache, NGINX, and Tomcat
- You have experience supporting and maintaining Integrated Library Systems, Library discovery and delivery systems and tools
- You have experience with project management
- You have experience with collaborative version control such as Git
- You have experience participating in open-source projects, including bug reporting or contributing code
If you feel that you meet some but not all the requirements, don’t let a confidence gap stop you from applying. Sometimes a list of qualifications can miss the elements that would most strengthen our team; we value the many different skills which make all of us unique.
How to apply
Published: Thursday, September 8, 2022 19:23 UTC
Last updated: Thursday, September 8, 2022 19:23 UTC