Division AVP Student and Academic Services
Position Type Permanent Full Time
Location: Athabasca, Alberta
Posted: 07/09/2019 Closing Date: 08/19/2019
Wage Min: $79,569.00 Wage Max: $105,328.00
Athabasca University's Library & Scholarly Resources is hiring to the permanent full-time position of Library Systems and Digital Repositories Analyst.
This position is a key member of the Library & Scholarly Resources team, supporting the analysis, design, development, implementation, and promotion of the Library’s systems, including but not limited to specialized digital repositories, websites and digitized collections. The incumbent will support the Library and Scholarly Resources unit, and other stakeholders with programming expertise, and through the maintenance and enhancement of existing Library systems, and may develop new systems as appropriate.
The incumbent will:
- Provide technical support and training related to the Library’s digital repositories, systems, and websites for AU faculty, staff, and students
- Monitor, evaluate, research, and disseminate findings and results regarding digital repositories and systems; and promote the use of digital resources.
- Analyze various technical activities, software applications, system requirements and make recommendations to alleviate areas of concern.
- Collaborate with other university libraries to develop open systems, software, and digital standards that support libraries.
- Provide technical skills (software, database, system, programming, etc.) to meet project and web site deliverables.
The incumbent is required to have as a minimum, a 4-year degree, recognized in Canada, in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or equivalent and at least 4 years related software programming/analysis/design with Linux system administration experience. Equivalencies may be considered.
- Strong understanding of Model-View-Controller pattern is required, and familiarity with other software design patterns is desirable
- Exposure to responsive web design is required
- Sound knowledge of Linux administration is required
- Solid knowledge of web security is required
- Solid knowledge of SQL programming, the use of databases, such as MySQL, PostgreSQL, and Oracle, and knowledge of database administration
- Advanced knowledge and experience with software development life cycle and associated processes, such as version control and release management, requirements gathering, software analysis, and design
- Experience with Git is desirable
- Experience with visual design and user experience design are an asset
- Familiarity with web content management systems is desired
- Experience with library systems is desired
- Experience with metadata standards preferred
- Excellent interpersonal skills and oral and written communications skills are required
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills are required
- Passionate about clean code and software craftsmanship
- Knowledge of copyright regulations involving digital documents is highly desirable
- Experience in dealing with the installation and troubleshooting of computer hardware is desirable
- Knowledge of digital preservation practices preferred
- Strong technical writing/documentation skills are desirable
- Strong project management techniques are desirable
The full job description can be viewed at Library Systems and Digital Repositories Analyst
For further information regarding this position, contact Hongxing Geng at (780) 675-6589 or via email at email@example.com
The vibrant town of Athabasca is located in the heart of Alberta's boreal forest on the banks of the Athabasca River. The community offers modern services, affordable housing, excellent public schools and a variety of recreational activities to suit everyone's lifestyle.
Educational credentials will be verified upon hire. All educational credentials must be recognized in Canada.
Please note that only applications received through our online recruitment system will be accepted. You must include your resume and letter of application when applying, along with the names, telephone numbers, and email addresses of three references.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian Citizens, Permanent Residents, and Landed Immigrants will be given priority.
We are committed to employment equity and encourage applications from women, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, and members of visible minorities.
Published: Friday, July 12, 2019 04:15 UTC
Last updated: Friday, July 12, 2019 04:15 UTC