SJSU Library is looking for a Director of User Experience and Innovations (Administrator II). This position leads our public services, user experience, web services and IT functions. We're looking for someone interested in building cross-functional teams, trying new things, and developing user-centered spaces and services across the library (physical and virtual). Please go to https://cmshr.hr.sjsu.edu/psp/HSJPRDF/EMPLOYEE/HSJPRD/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL to see more about the position and apply.
The Director of User Experience and Innovations provides leadership, planning, administration, and supervision for all aspects of the User Experience (UX) and Innovations units' work including the Unified Service Point (USP), user experience services, web services, student technology training center, media services, information technology help desk, library network and servers, student computing services, emerging technologies and the library's catalog discovery system. The Director implements services, spaces and technology in support of library transformations, providing a vision for library innovations, defining priorities, and making strategic recommendations related to services and technologies. The Director oversees and prioritizes the library's budget for multiple service points, user experience enhancement and technology. The Director fosters teamwork and promotes effective communication within and across units throughout the library and to appropriate campus personnel. This position reports to the Associate Dean of Innovations and Resource Management and works closely with San Jose Public Library's leadership and staff to design and implement innovative joint ventures at the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Library. The Director serves on Library management and leadership groups that set priorities and goals for services.
This is a position in the CSU - Management Personnel Plan (MPP), and serves at the pleasure of the President. This position will require adherence to University compliance training such as: Conflict of Interest and Ethics, AB 1825 Sexual Harassment Prevention, Information Security, and Injury and Illness Prevention Program. The person hired for this position may be required to complete an outside employment disclosure statement in accordance with Title V of the California Code of Regulations.
- Master's Degree In Library or Information Science, Information Technology or related field
- Three (3) years of progressively responsible supervisory experience
- Experience evaluating and implementing emerging technologies in an academic environment
- Experience managing Information Technology application, vendors and contracts
- Supervision of public services and/or end-user support
- Demonstrated commitment to assessing and improving user experiences with services and/or spaces
- Experience leading projects requiring technical expertise and demonstrated creativity in analysis and deployment of technology
- Experience evaluating unit operation programs and services
- Experience with partnerships, including internal and external organizations
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Functional expertise and demonstrated success in developing and implementing projects and programs for library information technologies
- Demonstrated ability to analyze requirements, resolve issues, plan for future innovations, recommend and implement strategic initiatives
- Ability to effectively, manage technology projects on time and on budget
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions and to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with multiple abstract and concrete variables
- Strong commitment to staff engagement and development, including recruitment of a diverse workforce
- Ability to lead teams effectively and promote a spirit of collaboration within an organization unit
Posting Date May 20, 2019
Application Screening begins July 1, 2019.
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material
Letter of interest
List of References
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
How to apply
Associate Dean, Innovation and Resource Management
San Jose State University Library
Published: Thursday, June 20, 2019 03:03 UTC
Last updated: Thursday, June 20, 2019 03:03 UTC