Publications and Metadata Librarian – Consultant
The objective of the consultancy is to provide support in the development of robust library, data and publications technical solutions to back KNL/FHL’s strategic goals. The ideal candidate will have a combination of interpersonal and technical skills that will contribute to the library stewardship on the curation and dissemination of IDB’s publications and data.
The Knowledge and Learning Sector (KNL) is responsible for disseminating knowledge, both internally and externally, for establishing the institutional learning agenda and delivering activities for staff and counterparts. KNL promotes an approved institutional knowledge and learning strategy to improve conditions for the acquisition, creation, dissemination, and use of knowledge needed for the effectiveness of Bank operations.
As part of the Knowledge and Learning Sector (KNL), the Felipe Herrera Library is the Bank's proactive partner on providing strategic information for knowledge-related operational projects. Within the next three years, KNL will coordinate an organizational-wide effort to implement semantic web and linked data technologies at the back end of existing knowledge applications, with the final goal of making the Bank’s knowledge more open and visible externally and internally.
KNL seeks a collaborative, energetic, innovative information professional to join its established team of information professionals. As the selected candidate you will be responsible for the activities described below.
- You will work closely with professionals in an innovative, fast paced and production driven environment by taking full advantage of available metadata, in-place systems, and emerging technology to augment and enhance the experience of both internal and external users of the Publications Website.
- You will provide ongoing support, troubleshooting, development, and enhancements to the IDB’s Publications Repository, Publications Taxonomy, as well as Library Systems and you will provide support, troubleshooting and development to the Publications Taxonomy, ensuring the integration and continuous update with quality metadata of the IDB’s Publication Repository to increase the publications’ visibility in the semantic web.
- You will integrate the IDB’s Open Data and Publications Repository websites with related repositories, database systems, authentication systems, search engines, discovery systems, taxonomy management and other sources of information. In this role you will liaise with the teams supporting the operation management system in particular and any connecting systems in general to ensure a smooth integration experience for end users.
- You will work in coordination with the ITE department to ensure that systems are production ready, follow Bank’s standards regarding programing languages, platforms, and security.
- You will work on the project team of the Semantic Web project to deliver project outputs in coordination with the vendor.
- You will provide proactive subject librarian services for clients in two departments and other duties as assigned.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to use technology in creative ways to solve problems and/or facilitate workflows;
- Solid organizational skills including attention to detail and multitasking skills.
Academic Degree / Level & Years of Professional Work Experience
- Associate’s degree or at least two years of progressive education in in computer science, Information Science, Information Management, Library Science, or related fields. Bachelor’s degree is an asset. Minimum of 2 years of relevant experience.
Areas of expertise
- Experience managing repositories (such as DSpace, Drupal, or other CMS used for gatekeeping) and/or document management systems (like SharePoint)
- Comfortable navigating Windows and Linux servers, as well as Oracle and PostgreSQL databases.
- Experience with web-oriented programming and responsive web design using languages such as Java, Perl, PHP and protocols such as HTTP, FTP, and REST architectures.
- Experience with Semantic Technology platforms and related technologies (RDF, OWL, SPARQL); knowledge of the PoolParty suite of tools is an asset.
- Proficiency in English and Spanish is required.
Type of contract: Consultant
Length of contract: 6 months
Starting date: July 16th, 2018
Requirements: You must be a citizen of one of the IDB’s 48 member countries and have no family members currently working at the IDB Group.
Working with us you will be surrounded by a diverse group of people who have years of experience in all types of development fields, including transportation, health, gender and diversity, communications and much more.
At the Inter-American Development Bank, we’re devoted to improving lives. Since 1959, we’ve been a leading source of long-term financing for economic, social, and institutional development in Latin America and the Caribbean. We do more than lending though. We partner with our 48 member countries to provide Latin America and the Caribbean with cutting-edge research about relevant development issues, policy advice to inform their decisions, and technical assistance to improve on the planning and execution of projects. For this, we need people who not only have the right skills, but also are passionate about improving lives.
Payment: Compensation will be determined in accordance with Bank’s policies and procedures. In addition, candidates must be citizens of an IDB member country.
Visa and Work Permit: The Bank, pursuant to applicable policies, may submit a visa request to the applicable immigration authorities; however, the granting of the visa is at the discretion of the immigration authorities. Notwithstanding, it is the responsibility of the candidate to obtain the necessary visa or work permits required by the authorities of the country(ies) in which the services will be rendered to the Bank. If a candidate cannot obtain a visa or work permit to render services to the Bank the contractual offer will be rescinded
Consanguinity: Pursuant to applicable Bank policy, candidates with relatives (including the fourth degree of consanguinity and the second degree of affinity, including spouse) working for the Bank as staff members or Complementary Workforce contractual, will not be eligible to provide services for the Bank.
Diversity: The Bank is committed to diversity and inclusion and to providing equal opportunities to all candidates. We embrace diversity on the basis of gender, age, education, national origin, ethnic origin, race, disability, sexual orientation, religion, and HIV/AIDs status. We encourage women, Afro-descendants and persons of indigenous origins to apply.
Primary Location: HQ-US-Washington DC
Job Posting: Jun 12, 2018, 4:00:00 AM
Closing Date: Jul 3, 2018, 3:59:00 AM
Contact Name - External: Jobs Online
Contact Email - External: firstname.lastname@example.org
Last updated: Monday, June 18, 2018 16:07 UTC
How to apply
Submitted by: email@example.com
Published: Monday, June 18, 2018 16:07 UTC