Warren Hunting Smith Library
Office of Academic and Faculty Affairs
Hobart and William Smith Colleges' Warren Hunting Smith Library seeks to fill the position of Systems Librarian in its Collection Services Unit. The successful candidate will be a creative and motivated individual with a strong commitment to exploring and facilitating the use of technology in service to teaching and scholarship. This position will participate in a broad range of library activities, including the assessment, development and coordination of library services; web tools and tutorials; and the identification and selection of technologies that will contribute to the richness of the Library's services and collections. This position offers the unique opportunity to join a team of librarians serving an engaged community in a collaborative environment.
HWS is a great place to work and to shape lives of consequence. Founded as Hobart College for men and William Smith College for women, Hobart and William Smith Colleges today are a highly selective residential liberal arts institution with a single administration, faculty and curriculum but separate deans offices, student governments, athletic programs and traditions. The Colleges are located in a small diverse city in the Finger Lakes region of New York State. With an enrollment of approximately 2,300, the Colleges offer 62 different majors and minors from which students choose two areas of concentration, one of which must be an interdisciplinary program. Creative and extensive programs of international study and public service are also at the core of the Colleges' mission.
This position reports to the Associate Librarian for Collection Services, and leads the Library's implementation of a range of information systems. Responsibilities include the Library’s integrated management system, the Library’s web presence and various online tools and collections. Additionally, this position collaborates with other library staff to enhance and develop the delivery of content and services, and acts as a liaison to other academic support units on campus concerning the integration of library content and services.
- Coordinate the maintenance of discovery systems and content (e.g. Alma, LibGuides, etc.)
- Maintain access to the library systems; including management of user records, IDs, and passwords.
- Integrate and maintain library systems with campus and consortia partners (e.g. PeopleSoft, IDS, RapidILL, etc.)
- Facilitate reporting from various systems and the extraction and manipulation of data for use by various systems.
- Provide support to staff in use/maintenance of deployed information services, and maintain local documentation.
- Coordinate the ongoing assessment and evaluation of information systems.
- Participate in the identification, selection, design and implementation of new information services.
- Act as a liaison for the Library with campus and consortia constituencies.
- Responsible for maintaining vendor relationships and contracts.
- Perform other tasks and duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Experience:
- M.L.S. from an ALA-accredited program or equivalent via education and/or work experience.
- Experience working with an integrated library system.
- Experience delivering digital services in an academic or comparable setting.
- Demonstrated knowledge of database design, web authoring tools, structured markup and common scripting languages.
- Demonstrated ability to learn new technologies, and stay current with technical developments.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Desired Knowledge, Skills, Experience:
- Familiarity with multiple OSs; and applicable system administration tasks.
- Familiarity with basic networking technologies/topologies.
- Demonstrated experience managing projects, and developing collaborative partnerships.
- Experience with Alma, Illiad and Springshare products.
This is a full-time, 12-month, benefits-eligible administrative salaried position. Some evenings and weekends may be required. The salary is competitive and is negotiable depending on the strength of qualifications. The benefit package includes but is not limited to: 20 days of vacation each year; 10 paid holidays; medical, dental, and vision insurances; long-term disability coverage; life insurance; and retirement benefits. This position is not all-inclusive, as other tasks or responsibilities may be assigned.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Interested applicants are encouraged to submit a cover letter, resume/C.V. and the names with contact information of at least three (3) professional references to our application service, Interfolio https://apply.interfolio.com/48712.
If you have any questions about using Interfolio, please send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last updated: Wednesday, February 14, 2018 14:42 UTC
How to apply
Published: Wednesday, February 14, 2018 14:42 UTC