East Carolina University (ECU) Libraries is seeking a skilled programmer to help create and maintain a variety of web and software applications for internal and external audiences. Using .NET, Java, Ruby, database management systems, and HTML/CSS, this position will create and manage custom applications to support library initiatives, provide customization and support for open source applications such as our Blacklight catalog and digital collections, and provide integration with vendor-based APIs and web service components.
The successful candidate will join the Application & Digital Services (ADS) unit, a team of programmers, technology professionals, and librarians that support the web and software needs of ECU Libraries. ADS works collaboratively with all departments to support project requests; in consultation with the team, the successful candidate will determine project needs, prepare mockups, install and configure software applications, and troubleshoot issues throughout a project's lifecycle. This is an opportunity to join a skilled team dedicated to finding application solutions that support digital preservation, archives, research, publishing, and open access initiatives.
ADS is committed to providing training opportunities for team members with the interest and desire to learn. Potential avenues of exploration for the successful candidate could be to help enhance our Blacklight catalog application, administer our institutional repository (currently running CONTENTdm and VIREO), or help develop applications and workflows surrounding digital preservation. Some of the team's current projects can be found on our departmental website at http://www.ecu.edu/cs-lib/depts/ads.cfm
To be most successful in this position, you will have:
- Knowledge of a scripting or programming language (e.g., Perl, Ruby, etc).
- Ability to independently write and edit HTML/CSS
- Experience with database management systems
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Associate's degree in Computer Science or related field and three years of relevant experience or a Bachelor’s degree and two years relevant experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
Bonus points if you have:
- Prior experience with .NET
- Knowledge of a command-line operating system (e.g., Unix, Linux)
- Knowledge of database design and management
- Familiarity with version control systems, XML/XSLT, ColdFusion, RESTful API language and other related technologies
- Experience using regular expressions
- Experience working in an academic library or similar institution
Follow the link and apply online by 7/19, or email me if you have any questions.
How to apply
Submitted by: email@example.com
Published: Wednesday, July 12, 2017 19:01 UTC