Senior Developer, Scholars' Lab
The University of Virginia Library is the hub of a lively and growing community of practice in technology and the humanities, arts, and social sciences. As part of that community, the Scholars’ Lab has risen to international pre-eminence as a library-based center for digital humanities.
The Scholars’ Lab collaborates with faculty, librarians, and students on a range of projects and tools, including spatial humanities, data visualization, text analysis, digital archiving, 3D modeling, and experimental humanities. Our Praxis Program and Digital Humanities Fellowships are both models for graduate education in Digital Humanities. Further, the Library and the Scholars’ Lab are committed to diversity and safe spaces, and we particularly focus our speaker series and practice on accessibility and social justice in all senses.
We welcome curious, critical, and compassionate professionals with integrity and a strong work ethic, and who possess a keen and deep understanding of what it takes to continuously improve and maintain research projects within a major academic research library. We particularly welcome applications from women, people of color, LGBTQ, and others who are traditionally underrepresented among software developers.
Responsibilities: The Senior Developer will consult with faculty and students to advance research projects and training; evaluate scholarly needs and define project goals for research projects; provide input on appropriate deliverables and reasonable schedules for completion; write, test, and debug original software code for applications that enable scholars and library users to collect, manage, produce, manipulate, or analyze digital information resources. The Senior Developer will modify existing applications to improve their functioning or achieve broader and more effective use and engage with new technologies to help researchers find their use and interest for research.
- Graduate degree or equivalent experience
- Up to 4 years of experience with software development, application development, or systems administration
- Experience with relational database systems, including Postgresql and MySQL
- Experience with version control, including Git and Subversion Systems: *nix
- Ability to scope and implement software in diverse environments
- Ability to communicate effectively with researchers and fellow developers
- Ability to encourage and develop a community of users and developers.
- Graduate degree or equivalent experience in the humanities or social sciences
- Experience with data collections, analysis, visualization, and interpretation
- Experience with a variety of text analysis or image analysis methods and tools
- Familiarity with a variety of application frameworks, including Rails, Django, and Zend
- Experience with TEI, XML, Solr, Cocoon, Tomcat
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. A CV/resume, cover letter, and contact information for three references are required pieces of your application.
Email a Friend: jobs.virginia.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=81600
How to apply
Feel free to contact Laura Miller (email@example.com) with any questions.
Published: Thursday, May 11, 2017 20:06 UTC
Last updated: Thursday, May 11, 2017 20:06 UTC