Head of Information Systems, Getty Research Institute
Created: August 4, 2016
Getty Research Institute Los Angeles0 other recent jobs
The Getty Research Institute (GRI) seeks a highly skilled, creative, agile and team-oriented individual to lead and contribute to the development of GRI’s technological research and advancement. The GRI is a complex organization that specializes in furthering knowledge and advancing understanding of the visual arts and their various histories. The GRI comprises a Research Library, Special Collections of rare materials, a dedicated Publications department, and a residential scholar program. These, along with its extensive program of exhibitions, research projects, and public programming, mean that the GRI simultaneously serves as an archive, library, museum, and center for research and study. The GRI’s activities in the areas of digitization, digital collections access, library systems, and software development are a critical part of fulfilling its mission of providing a unique environment for research, critical inquiry, and scholarly exchange.
The Head of GRI Information Systems will be responsible for establishing the long-term vision and goals for architectural and strategic planning efforts for GRI’s technology for digital projects and other significant research resources. Working with GRI’s senior staff, this position broadly oversees and provides high level guidance for GRI’s software development team, Digital Services department, and the GRI’s core mission systems, such as the library resource management, discovery, and digital preservation and access systems to ensure the institution’s complex needs are met. Additionally, this position may oversee the department’s operating budget and computer asset management.
Coordinates various technologies inside GRI with the library, web, provenance, research projects, vocabularies, etc. Strategizes ways to make systems more efficient by unifying various processes and strategies. Develops proposals and prioritizes resources for projects and brings technology and content together. Responsible for coordination among institutions and teams with specialized expertise.
The ideal candidate will possess both technical skills to succeed and the analytic, procedural and communication skills to implement, maintain, trouble-shoot, upgrade and enhance application software solutions. Strong collaboration and communication skills are required as interactions between the GRI, other members of the IT organization, and executive leadership of the Getty are essential. Acting as a strong advocate for the GRI Getty-wide, coupled with the implementation of GRI focused projects, such as Linked Data and IIIF projects, are central to this position.
Major Job Responsibilities:
- Applies comprehensive knowledge of area of expertise used in division
- Manages subordinate employees including mentoring, coaching, counseling, training, and performance evaluation
- Provides direction and delegates assignments and objectives to subordinates
- Determines divisional objectives and assignments
- Establishes operating policies and procedures for the division
- Exerts influence in the development of objectives, budgets and long-range goals for the organization
- Provides technical/thought leadership in area of expertise
- Bachelor's degree in a related field or a combination of education and relevant experience; Master’s degree highly preferred
- 7 to 10 years of supervisory and/or project/process management experience, preferably in a higher education or cultural heritage institution; ability to lead within a complex organization
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to define new technologies and programming tools
- Strong understanding of databases, data modeling, systems analysis, information architecture, information retrieval, and digital preservation
- Thorough understanding of all aspects of software development life cycle and quality control practices
- Ability to innovate solutions for highly technical applications
- Strong communication skills with both technical and non-technical clients and audiences
- Demonstrated experience overseeing development and deployment of applications using a variety of tools and methods
- Ability to recognize and recommend needed changes in user and/or operations procedures
- Ability to successfully negotiate with internal and external partners
- Ability to leverage broad and deep organizational relationships to envision and execute mission critical initiatives
- Ability to estimate time and cost for technology projects
- Keeps abreast of new developments in respective field and works to ensure that the Getty is in the position to take advantage of trends that serve its mission
- Strong commitment to implementing project management techniques and to the principles of user-directed design
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:40 UTC
How to apply
Published: Thursday, August 4, 2016 16:54 UTC