DescriptionThe National Library of Ireland (NLI) is seeking a talented, self-motivated library technology specialist to lead the development of its digital services infrastructure.
Brief Description of Position:
The NLI’s current digital services infrastructure combines open-source software, vendor-supplied products, and locally-developed middleware and interfaces. Core systems include a Library Management System (VTLS Virtua), discovery and access systems (VuFind and Blacklight), a digital repository system (Fedora Commons/Hydra) which currently manages over 40TB of digitised material.
Reporting to the Head of Digital Collections, the successful candidate will play a key role in designing and developing the NLI’s technical infrastructure to meet the NLI’s core strategic objectives and challenges. This is an excellent opportunity to work in a stimulating, challenging environment, to solve interesting problems, and to greatly enhance public access to the invaluable cultural heritage resources of the NLI.
- Provide technical oversight and strategic leadership to develop and enhance the NLI’s digital services infrastructure, including the NLI’s Digital Repository, Library Management System, Online Catalogue, and other core systems
- Lead, manage and support a small team of technology specialists.
- Provide technical leadership and architectural analysis to expand the NLI’s digital repository to meet new strategic requirements, e.g. the acquisition, management and preservation of born-digital content including archival material, web-harvested content, and e-publications
- Ensure the ingest, management and online delivery of digital content generated by the NLI’s existing digitisation programme. Provide technical leadership to expand the NLI’s digital repository to accommodate new digitisation workflows, including mass-digitisation by external agencies
- Formalise Digital Preservation policy and workflows, and secure certification of trustworthiness for the NLI’s digital repository, e.g. the Data Seal of Approval, ISO-16363
- Represent the NLI in relevant national and international collaborations and partnerships, including collaborations with CONUL, the European Library and various Open Source communities
- Work with NLI business areas and external users to determine strategic goals and corresponding technical solutions
- Provide technical expertise to the Senior Management team and AKI group to inform strategic and operational planning.
For full details please visit http://www.nli.ie/vacancies
How to apply
Published: Friday, May 13, 2016 09:36 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:40 UTC