Created: January 22, 2016
DescriptionWorking Title: Software Engineer
Faculty Rank: Lecturer
Posting Number: AP0160019
Position Summary: Position report to the Technology Development Librarian, Digital Library Development, Research & Informatics, University Libraries
Virginia Tech’s University Libraries seek a talented software engineer to join a focused and successful team of engineers in developing digital library and repository software solutions. The systems being developed enable management, preservation, and online discovery that support the research data and scholarly, scientific, and creative expression of researchers at Virginia Tech. The successful candidate will engage in digital preservation strategies and repository systems research within the Digital Library Development team and support an expanding suite data and informatics technologies within the library.
- Initial focus will be on developing Fedora Commons and Hydra applications for local and broader initiatives including VTechData, and IMLS Grant funded deliverables such as ETDplus systems.
- Technical contributions to integrative software deployment on to developing in-house and cloud-based data and web delivery systems, including understanding DevOps approaches, enabling developers and system administrators to best coordinate their efforts of data integration, applications development and packaging, including technologies such as Git, Jira, Confluence, Travis CI, and Vagrant.
- Performs project related work to leverage and further develop existing infrastructures that preserve and offer interaction with unique scholarly research output and library software and systems work with them, including Perl, PHP, MySQL, PostgreSQL.
- Participates in code reviews, analyzes new technologies for potential adoption / integration into our main code base.
- Maintains professional growth by keeping abreast of emerging areas in digital curation and informatics.
- Advanced degree in computer science, computer engineering, information science, or related field, or Bachelor’s degree in computer science, computer engineering, information science, or related field and significant experience in professional user interface, web application, or software development equivalent to an advanced degree
- Expertise in Ruby and Ruby on Rails for developing library and repository applications.
- Demonstrated software development following best practices including knowledge of software version control (e.g., such as Git), agile programming methodologies, issue tracking and documentation systems (e.g., Jira and Confluence), and sound security practices.
- Ability to work independently and with initiative to identify and solve problems;
- Ability to work collaboratively with individuals and groups, both on site and remotely;
- Demonstrated ability to develop new programming skills quickly, and to grasp unfamiliar architectures and application designs quickly.
- Demonstrated ability to write solid, simple, elegant code both within schedule limitations.
- Quick and self-bootstrapping learner. Particularly adept at quickly learning new scripting and programming languages.
- Must have excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Demonstrated success participating in community-based open source projects, specifically those relevant to digital library architectures, such as Fedora, Blacklight, Solr or Hydra.
- Demonstrated proficiency applying best practices to development projects, especially test-driven development and automated testing.
- Demonstrated proficiency in development in UNIX / LINUX environments.
- Knowledge of Solr, Triplestores, and Cloud Infrastructures; experience working with RDF in practical applications.
- In-depth knowledge of library policies and practice, metadata standards and the scholarly communication framework.
- Prior, successful experience working as a professional in an academic and/or library environment.
Employment Conditions: Must have a conviction check: Yes
How to Apply for this Job: Applications must be submitted online at http://www.jobs.vt.edu, posting AP0160019. The application package needs to include a resume, cover letter addressing the candidate’s experience with the responsibilities associated with the position, and the required and preferred qualifications, names of three (3) references and their contact information. Review of applications will begin as received and continue until the position is filled.
Employee Category: Administrative and Professional Faculty
Appointment Type: Regular
Percent Employment: Full-time
Pay Range: $54,000 - $62,000 (Commensurate with experience)
Work Location: Blacksburg
Work Schedule: 8am-5pm M-F or as assigned
Posting Date: 01/22/2016
Job Review Date: 02/22//2016
Quick Link: http://listings.jobs.vt.edu/postings/63103
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:40 UTC