The Chemical Heritage Foundation is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to foster dialogue on science and technology in society. CHF’s staff and fellows study the past in order to understand the present and inform the future. We focus on the sciences and technologies of matter and materials and their effect on our modern world, in territory ranging from the physical sciences and industries, through the chemical sciences and engineering, to the life sciences and technologies. We collect, preserve, and exhibit historical artifacts. We engage communities of scientists and engineers. We tell the stories of the people behind breakthroughs and innovations. CHF is located in the heart of beautiful Independence National Historical Park in Philadelphia. For further information, visit our website at: www.chemheritage.org.
The Chemical Heritage Foundation (CHF) is seeking candidates for the full-time position of Systems Administrator. The Systems Administrator will oversee the technical infrastructure for CHF’s forthcoming digital collection, built on the open-source Hydra repository technology stack (Fedora 4, Solr, and Blacklight). The Systems Administrator will also be responsible for architecting scalable cloud-based Linux infrastructure for multiple applications serving library, archive, museum and oral history collections using Amazon Web Services (AWS).
- Manage CHF’s AWS environment.
- Contribute to development operations (DevOps) by using build automation and deployment tools.
- Install and maintain open-source software applications, upgrades and patches.
- Coordinate and perform large-scale upgrades and OS-level updates.
- Set up and conduct process monitoring, log analysis, and load testing; make adjustments for improved services and increasing storage capacity as needed.
- Design and implement strategies for back-ups; maintain back-up scripts.
- Oversee security provisions and perform regular security monitoring.
- Perform and maintain risk assessments and business impact analyses.
- Manage user application accounts and integrate with LDAP server.
- Communicate with different departments and provide user support, as needed.
The successful candidate will possess:
- A minimum of 3 years experience in systems administration or similar field, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Linux servers.
- Experience installing, maintaining and troubleshooting open-source technology.
- Demonstrated record of success in learning new technologies.
- Experience reconfiguring multi-server architecture, preferably with Amazon Web Services (AWS), is a plus.
- Experience working with Git and GitHub in a collaborative environment is preferred.
- Experience with build automation tools (such as Chef or Ansible) is a plus.
- Knowledge of CMS and DAMS software used at cultural heritage institutions, such as Drupal, Hydra, ArchivesSpace, or similar.
- Knowledge of a scripting language such as Bash, Python, or Ruby.
- Experience working with a Java Virtual Machine (JVM), especially serving Java applications via Tomcat, is a plus.
- Experience administering and tuning a SQL database server such as PostgreSQL or MySQL is a plus.
– CHF is an Equal Opportunity Employer –
No Phone Calls Please.
How to apply
Published: Wednesday, September 9, 2015 20:49 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:41 UTC