DescriptionEmory Libraries seek a highly collaborative Director of Library Technology and Digital Strategies to provide leadership and direction for innovative services and technologies. The Libraries strive for a flexible and dynamic environment that encourages user-centered technology enhancements. The successful candidate will have an inherent desire to develop, manage, and assess services designed to support the Emory University community of users. Candidates must understand the broad landscape of trends in information technology and libraries, and must have a demonstrated track record of successful project management and implementation of technologies and services. The Libraries are developing a strong program of Core Systems and a Digital Library program.
The Director is a key member of the Emory Libraries’ administration with responsibility for a growing department focused on providing high-quality, robust systems that facilitate search, discovery, preservation, and the delivery of library services and resources to the entire Emory University campus. The Director provides leadership and vision for the enhancement, extension, and integration of the Libraries’ technology and tools in support of faculty and student teaching, learning, research and scholarship. The Director collaborates with the technology team and the broader Libraries and Information Technology Services (LITS) organization to ensure a flexible, scalable, and sustainable technology infrastructure enabling library services, content management, applications support, repositories, web maintenance and development, and resources for innovation. The Director is the primary technology strategist for the Emory Libraries and works collaboratively with all library directors and other directors/managers in the LITS organization. Reporting to the University Librarian, the Director serves as a Library Cabinet member, a member of the Libraries/IT Strategy Group, Software Engineering Governance Group, and is an ex-officio member of the Libraries Core Systems Governance Group.
• ALA-accredited master’s degree in Library and Information Science OR equivalent education and experience relevant to the position.
• Eight or more years professional experience working with library systems and digital library strategy and development with evidence of broad, in-depth technology and systems knowledge, skills. Experience in a major academic/research or large public library setting AND evidence of increasing levels of responsibility and leadership.
• Working knowledge and direct experience with integrated library systems and related search and discovery products (such as Ex Libris, Alma, Primo) and digital repositories (Hydra, Fedora) and demonstrated understanding of the trends related to the ongoing development of such systems and of emerging technologies and systems within this arena of library technology and automation.
• Working knowledge of key trends in digital libraries and digital preservation including ability to evaluate strategies and emerging technologies successfully.
• Evidence of ability to articulate a system perspective for a multi-library campus and effectively implement a collaboratively-developed vision for search, discovery, and delivery services in a complex research library environment. Ability to work collaboratively with library directors and staff of different libraries in order to provide high-quality search and discovery services that meet the needs of diverse users throughout the Emory community.
• Ability to build and sustain effective interpersonal relationships with all levels of library and university staff and external vendors in order to work effectively in a highly collaborative and team-oriented environment as well as take a leadership role.
• Evidence of at least 5 years of supervisory experience and demonstrated skill in supervising and managing librarians and staff in library systems and information technology roles including coaching, motivating, and mentoring of managers and supervisors. Ability to be proactive, flexible, and collaborative as a team leader in order to accomplish departmental, library, and institutional goals.
• Experience working with project managers as well as directly managing projects and departmental budgets, including ability to develop proposal, timelines, budgets, and staffing plans and in ensuring completion of milestones and overall project.
• Ability to develop, implement, and assess business proposals and plans, specifically, information technology proposals and projects.
• Experience providing and managing library services with evidence of progressively increasing scope of responsibility in a large academic or research institution library and evidence of successful record of leadership and ability to foster an organization-wide perspective that ensures effective stewardship of available resources.
• Evidence of competence in strategic planning, introducing and managing change in complex organizations, budget planning and administration, human resources management, facilities and space planning.
Interested candidates should review the applications requirements and apply online at
Applications may be submitted as Word or PDF attachments and must include:
1) Cover letter of application describing qualifications and experience;
2) Current resume/vita detailing education and relevant experience; and
3) On a separate document list the names, email addresses, and telephone numbers of 3 professional references including a current or previous supervisor.
To view the full position posting, please visit http://web.library.emory.edu/about/employment/librarian.html.
How to apply
Published: Wednesday, August 19, 2015 12:54 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:41 UTC