Digital Library Programmer, Librarian I
See job posting #1154 at https://jobs.msu.edu/ for full description and application procedure.
MSU provides generous fringe benefits.
Reporting to the Head of the Digital and Multimedia Center, we are looking for a creative Librarian who will plan, code, test, and implement technologies and systems that promote and advance the Library's mission of preservation, creation, transmission and application of knowledge. As part of a unified team, the incumbent shall work with and through the G.M. Kline Digital and Multi-media Center, Digital Curation, Collections, Systems and Public Service staffs to further develop or enhance application design and functionality for vendor supplied, open source or in-house applications, with an emphasis on collection stewardship and discovery.
This librarian will participate approximately quarter-time in a secondary assignment based on qualifications, interests and need; may include work in areas such as cataloging, catalog services, reference, or collection development.
Librarians are appointed as regular faculty in the continuing appointment system and are engaged in professional development and scholarly activities related to their position in addition to serving on library and university committees as elected or assigned.
Michigan State University Libraries serve more the 4,900 faculty, 36,000 undergraduates, and 11,000 graduate and professional students on a park-like campus of over 5,000 acres. The Main Library and 4 branch libraries have combined holdings of over 5 million volumes. East Lansing is a community of 50,000 located adjacent to Lansing, the State capital.
- Master's degree in information or library science from a program accredited by the American Library Association.
- Broad understanding of emerging trends in digital technologies and scholarship; experience with languages such as Python, PHP or Java and demonstrated facility with XML and database construction (e.g. MySQL);
- Advanced use of HTML, CSS;
- Knowledge of standards-based metadata schema;
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills;
- Ability to be flexible in a dynamic and changing environment;
- Ability to work effectively with diverse faculty, students, and staff;
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively;
- Ability to prioritize and balance various unit needs;
- Attention to detail.
As librarians are appointed as regular faculty in the continuous appointment system, also required are preparation and commitment to conduct independent scholarship consistent with a librarian appointment; and capacity and commitment to engage independently in continuing professional development.
Familiarity with repository software technologies, especially Fedora Commons and Islandora. Degree or coursework in Computer Science or allied field.
5pm on Wednesday, May 20, 2015
Instructions to Applicants:
Interested applicants should provide a letter of application, resume and names, addresses and email addresses of 3 references to https://jobs.msu.edu/ posting #1154.
How to apply
Published: Thursday, April 16, 2015 19:44 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:42 UTC