Digital Library Applications Developer
Full time Remote / Telecommute
DescriptionTemple University Libraries' software development team is growing! With exciting projects currently in development and on the horizon for Temple University Libraries, this is an opportunity to work as part of a dynamic and passionate team on highly-active Open Source projects like Hydra, Fedora Commons, and Blacklight.
NOTE: For this position, we are willing to consider a telecommuting arrangement of up to 80% (4 days a week) depending on candidate's experience and qualifications.
The Temple University Libraries are seeking a creative and energetic individual to fill the position of Digital Library Applications Developer. This position is an opportunity to engage with the active Hydra/Fedora community and other Open Source communities. Temple’s federated library system serves an urban research university with over 1,800 full-time faculty and a student body of 36,000 that is among the most diverse in the nation. For more information about Temple and Philadelphia, visit http://www.temple.edu.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
Reporting to the Senior Digital Library Applications Developer and working closely with others in the Digital Library Initiatives Department, the DLAD helps develop and maintain the technological infrastructure for Temple University’s digital library initiatives and services, which includes preserving and delivering large collections of digital objects with the Hydra repository framework, and supporting digital scholarship (including digital humanities), and scholarly communication initiatives throughout the Library. As part of the development team, the DLAD architects, implements, tests and deploys new tools and services primarily based on open source project software, such as Hydra, Fedora Commons, Omeka, VIVO, Scalar, and Open Journal Systems (OJS), potentially contributing code to those projects. The DLAD advances professional skills through engagement with the active Open Source community via training and participation at national and regional conferences/meet-ups. Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field, and at least one year of experience. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Demonstrated experience with application development in at least one major programming language such as Ruby on Rails, PHP, or Java.
- Demonstrated experience with MySQL or other database management systems.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the LAMP stack or similar technology stacks.
- Demonstrated ability to perform effective code testing and QA testing.
- Experience with project requirements gathering.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills, demonstrated ability to work in a collaborative team-based environment, and to communicate well with IT and non-IT staff.
- Commitment to responsive and innovative service.
- Demonstrated ability to write clear documentation.
- Experience with a repository system such as Hydra.
- Familiarity with a Content Management System like Drupal or an exhibit curation system like Omeka would be a plus.
- Experience working with Open Source software, including multi-platform integration.
- Experience with version control, test-driven development, and continuous integration techniques.
- Experience with Linux/Unix operating systems, including scripting.
- Experience working with authentication and authorization protocols, including LDAP.
- Knowledge of XML/XSLT.
- Familiarity with digital library standards, such as Dublin Core, MARC, METS, EAD, and OAI-PMH.
Competitive salary and benefits package.
To apply for this position, please visit http://www.temple.edu/hr/departments/employment/jobs_within.htm, click on "Non-Employees Only," and search for job number TU-18555. For full consideration, please submit your completed electronic application, along with a cover letter and resume. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Temple University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer with a strong commitment to cultural diversity.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:42 UTC
How to apply
Software Quality Assurance Ruby on Rails Ruby PHP Open source Omeka MySQL METS MARC standards LAMP Hydra Framework Fedora Repository Architecture Encoded Archival Description Dublin Core Drupal Digital scholarship Digital library Digital humanities Computer Science
Published: Monday, December 8, 2014 18:53 UTC