Created: October 3, 2014
San Francisco Symphony San Francisco0 other recent jobs
DescriptionFounded in 1911, the San Francisco Symphony is one of the country’s leading orchestras, in the forefront of US artistic life as the 21st century begins and with a history that mirrors the American music scene throughout the 20th century. Reporting to the Archivist, the Associate Archivist is responsible for day to day management of the SFS Archives digital repository, playing the lead role in the accession, description and access to digital objects in the archive’s collection. The successful applicant will have a good base of understanding in a variety of technologies related to digital preservation and the management of digital content in a variety of formats, and will keep abreast of new technical information and developments relating to the life cycle of digital objects. The work schedule for the position is 30 hours per week and includes benefits.
Job responsibilities include:
- Develop workflows and procedures, and aid in policy revisions, for the digital repository
- Arrange, describe, preserve, and make accessible born-digital and digitized materials following archival practices
- Help identify, evaluate, recommend, and implement appropriate hardware and software for digital preservation and digitization
- Assist in infrastructure development, planning and support for long-term access to the digital collections
- Act as liaison to the IT Department for the maintenance and management of archival databases, archives software, and born-digital records
- Manage on-going digitization of archival material for reproduction and reference purposes and assist in the planning and implementation of new digitization projects
- Create reports and other documentation about the SFS Archives digital object collection
- Assist all departments in maintaining the organization’s records management program by identifying existing and newly created digital records, and executing retention policies to archive and destroy digital records according to operational needs
- Support SFS Archivist in the on-going efforts to preserve, process, and describe the non-current historical records of the SFS
- Assist in providing information/ reference/ research services to SFS staff and public
- Other duties as assigned
- Masters of Library Science, History, or related field and 2-3 years of experience in an archive, research library, or manuscript repository; bachelor’s degree with 3-5 years of experience in an archive, research library or manuscript repository.
- Experience with digitization projects, the management of digital records, and the workflow and procedures associated with managing digital assets
- Familiarity with digital repository standards, guidelines, digital preservation principles and best practices.
- Strong computer skills: Windows, Microsoft Access, Microsoft Excel, Adobe Photoshop, FileMaker Pro, familiarity with HTML, XML, and FTP software. Knowledge of Microsoft SharePoint, MS SQL, and Inmagic Presto a plus.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Basic knowledge and interest in classical music.
- Ability to work well with diverse personalities.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to lift and shift boxes weighing up to 15 lbs.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:42 UTC
How to apply
Published: Friday, October 3, 2014 16:45 UTC