Senior Software Developer
Created: September 23, 2014
University of Maryland, College Park College Park0 other recent jobs
DescriptionTitle: Senior Software Developer
Category: Exempt Staff
Department: Digital Systems and Stewardship
Benefits: 22 Days Annual Leave, 15 Days Sick Leave, 3 Days Personal Leave, 15 Paid Holidays, Tuition Remission, Health, Dental, Vision and Prescription coverage
The University of Maryland (UMD) Libraries are seeking a dynamic individual to serve as Senior Software Developer on a growing development team, providing broad programming support and technical leadership to the UMD Libraries across a wide range of services, including web site delivery, content management, digital collections, digital preservation, enterprise infrastructure, and research software. These services support both the UMD Libraries and the broader University of Maryland research and learning communities.
The Libraries primary application delivery platform is the Java Enterprise technology stack running on RedHat Enterprise Linux virtual machines, using open source software such as Hippo CMS, DSpace, Fedora Commons, and Kuali OLE. The incumbent will support these technologies across the software development and support lifecycle, as well as other technologies, including commercially and locally developed solutions. The Libraries utilize additional languages and development platforms such as PHP/Drupal for content management, statistical open-source computing frameworks (R) for research software support, and are open to other programming languages and environments, as necessary.
As the largest university library system in the Washington D.C.-Baltimore area, the University of Maryland Libraries serve 37,000 students and faculty of the flagship College Park campus. The University of Maryland Libraries share the teaching, learning and research goals of the university. Its role as a key academic resource is evident in its service to the academic community and its actionable strategic plan.
• Software Development – application programming in support of locally developed applications and integration with open source, commercial and production software
• Software Architecture - recommend and implement high-level design choices and technical standards
• Project Lead - provide project oversight and leadership; manage issues, assignments, and sprints; personnel mentoring
• Technology Research – research new tools and technologies, including applications, standards, languages, and frameworks
• Server configuration and deployment – setup server side configuration for applications; promotion through DTAP environments
• Bachelor’s degree plus seven years programming experience
• Experience creating web applications using a web application framework
• Experience using software development tools for version control, build and dependency management, and integrated development
• Demonstrated ability to learn and use multiple programming languages and frameworks
To view full position description, please use the following URL, http://www.lib.umd.edu/hr/employment-opportunities/staff-faculty-positions.
Applications: Electronic applications required. Please apply online at https://ejobs.umd.edu click “Staff”, position #120017. Local candidates are encouraged to apply; no relocation assistance will be provided. You must be legally able to work in the United States. An application consists of a cover letter which includes the source of advertisement, a resume and names/e-mail addresses of three references.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received and accepted until October 6, 2014.
The University of Maryland, College Park, actively subscribes to a policy of equal employment opportunity, and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race, age, sex, color, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, religion, ancestry or national origin, marital status, genetic information, political affiliation, or gender identity and expression. Minorities and women are encouraged to apply.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:43 UTC
How to apply
Published: Tuesday, September 23, 2014 21:40 UTC