Lead Software Developer
Created: August 15, 2014
ProQuest Seattle, WA0 other recent jobs
We're a unique blend of technologists located in a fun part of Seattle (Fremont) seeking someone who breathes and lives our core values of accountability, collaboration, customer focus, empowerment, learning and passion for technology. We're looking for a lead developer passionate about content discovery, and ready to make a difference through our discovery products that are used by libraries, faculty and students worldwide.
As a Lead Software Developer, this person will draw upon their experience and leadership skills to drive the technical execution of software projects. This person will use their technical skills to help develop and maintain software services and components related to discovery products, using modern open-source technologies and development tools.
Some of what you'll be doing:
- Lead and mentor a small team of developers, both on-site and remote
- Identify, prioritize, and distribute work appropriately to ensure the right solution is delivered at the right time
- Design, develop, and enhance online SaaS products specifically related to content discovery and access
- Evaluate design and development proposals, suggest viable options, estimate work, create project documentation, implement designs, execute project deliverables and follow through with stakeholders
- Evaluate, disseminate, and integrate improved standards, specifications, and technologies into existing processes and methodologies
- Participate (as needed) in creating and improving infrastructure to address system performance, security, maintainability, and scalability of the products
- Quickly analyze, prioritize, and address any errors reported by clients, support and/or content providers
What you'll have experience doing:
- Bachelors’ degree or higher in Computer Science or a related field, plus at least 6 years’ related work experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- 2+ years experience of leading/mentoring teams
- Strong Programming skills in Java and JSP
- Proven ability to own, manage, and take responsibility for the success of code bases
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Excellent (written and verbal) communication skills
- Ability to professionally interact with a diverse blend of personalities to reach resolution and maintain strong relationships
- Ability to deal with ambiguity and thrive in a rapidly changing environment
- Masters’ degree in Computer Science or a related field.
- Familiarity/experience with Agile development methodologies, unit testing and continuous integration.
- Knowledge of Unix/Linux and shell scripting, and scripting languages such as Python or Ruby.
- Experience with using SQL databases.
- Familiarity with XML
Here’s what you want to know about the Seattle office
Fantastic people: Where smart is the norm and unique is welcome
Fun location: Coffee houses, restaurants and right across the street from Fremont’s best pub
Great benefits: Plus some unique stuff like monthly transportation subsidy, on-site events, flexible scheduling and wellness programs
Awesome office environment: Nice office, jeans are the norm and (well behaved) Fido is welcome
Amazing company: Annual compensation reviews, generous bonuses, and active “Green Team” and good morale
ProQuest connects people with vetted, reliable information. We provide seamless access to and navigation of more than 125 billion digital pages of the world's scholarship, delivering it to the desktop and into the workflow of serious researchers in multiple fields, from arts, literature, and social science to general reference, business, science, technology, and medicine. The company is currently rolling out the all-new ProQuest® platform, which moves beyond navigation to empower researchers to use, create, and share content—accelerating research productivity.
If this position isn’t quite your fit, check out our other positions posted on our “Career” page under About Us. ProQuest’s corporate office is located in Ann Arbor, MI.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:43 UTC