DescriptionThe Linux / VMware Systems Administrator (State of NC classification: Systems Programmer/Specialist, position number 00104032) serves as the virtualization architect for the NCSU Libraries, including management, monitoring, and performance optimization for the virtual server and virtual desktop environment. This position will primarily be responsible for the creation and management of Linux servers, although the NCSU Libraries computing environment does include some Windows servers. Duties include monitoring of server performance, load, and storage limits, troubleshooting problems between servers and applications, and disaster recovery planning. This position is supports a relatively complex application development environment within the Libraries--working with developers to install, configure, and maintain infrastructural software such as Apache httpd, Apache Tomcat, PHP, and Shibboleth. Also serves as the primary database administrator, with an emphasis on supporting MySQL and Oracle.
We support a broad computing environment with a wide variety of technologies, and we are looking for someone who enjoys working with this diversity and is willing to dig into new areas as frequently as needed.
● Significant systems administration experience with Linux and Windows operating systems.
● Significant experience working with both virtual servers and virtual desktops.
● Experience managing multi-database MySQL installations.
● Experience utilizing a variety of tools to monitor uptime, performance, and load of systems.
● Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective work relationships.
● Excellent problem-solving skills.
● Ability to consult directly with both technical and non-technical customers to develop effective solutions.
● Good written and oral communication skills.
● Hands-on experience using VMware tools to manage a virtualized environment.
● Practical experience administering Red Hat Linux.
● Experience managing a variety of database packages, including Oracle, PostgreSQL, and MS SQL Server.
● Experience configuring and troubleshooting application servers such as Apache httpd (and associated modules like PHP, mod_ssl, Phusion Passenger) and Apache Tomcat.
● Experience with Shibboleth and/or Active Directory authentication mechanisms.
● Experience with automated tools that support server configuration (Puppet, Chef) and/or application testing and deployment (Jenkins, Hudson).
● Experience directly supporting application developers.
Apply here: https://jobs.ncsu.edu/postings/37997
NC State is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
NC State welcomes all persons without regard to sexual orientation or genetic information.
Persons with disabilities requiring accommodations in the application and interview process please call (919) 515-3148.
How to apply
Published: Thursday, July 3, 2014 15:00 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:43 UTC