The Temple University Libraries are seeking a creative and energetic individual to fill the position of Digital Library Applications Developer. Temple’s federated library system serves an urban research university with over 1,800 full-time faculty and a student body of 36,000 that is among the most diverse in the nation. For more information about Temple and Philadelphia, visit http://www.temple.edu.
Reporting to the Senior Digital Library Applications Developer and working closely with others in the Digital Library Initiatives Department, help develop and maintain the technological infrastructure for Temple University’s digital library initiatives and services, which includes preserving and delivering large collections of digital objects, and supporting digital humanities and scholarly communication initiatives throughout the Library. Under the guidance of supervisor, architect, implement, test and deploy new tools and services primarily based on open source project software, such as Omeka, Fedora Commons, Hydra, and Open Journal Systems (OJS), potentially contributing code to those projects. Perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
- BS in Computer Science or related field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated experience with application development in at least one major programming language such as Ruby on Rails, PHP, or Java
- Demonstrated experience with MySQL or other database management systems.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the LAMP stack or similar technology stacks.
- Demonstrated ability to perform effective code testing.
- Experience with project requirements gathering.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills, demonstrated ability to work in a collaborative team-based environment, and to communicate well with IT and non-IT staff. Commitment to responsive and innovative service.
- Demonstrated ability to write clear documentation.
- Experience with a repository system such as Fedora/Hydra, Fedora/Islandora, or Dspace.
- Familiarity with a Content Management System like Drupal or an exhibit curation system like Omeka would be a plus.
- Experience working with Open Source software; experience with version control, test-driven development, and continuous integration techniques.
- Experience with QA testing of web applications.
- Experience with Linux/Unix operating systems, including scripting and commands.
- Experience working with authentication and authorization protocols, including LDAP.
- Knowledge of XML/XSLT.
- Familiarity with digital library standards, such as Dublin Core, MARC, METS, EAD, and OAI-PMH.
To apply for this position, please visit http://www.temple.edu/hr/departments/employment/jobs_within.htm, click on "Non-Employees Only," and search for job number TU-17222. For full consideration, please submit your completed electronic application, along with a cover letter and resume. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Temple University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer with a strong commitment to cultural diversity.
--- Katherine Lynch, Senior Digital Library Applications Developer Temple University Libraries (http://library.temple.edu) Samuel L. Paley Library, Room 113, 1210 Polett Walk, Philadelphia, PA 19122 Tel: 215-204-2821 | Fax: 215-204-5201 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
How to apply
Published: Friday, November 1, 2013 13:02 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:44 UTC