DescriptionThe Assistant Technical Librarian for Digital Infrastructure’s primary responsibilities involve the maintenance and deployment of the back-end systems (servers, databases, backup, etc.) that a modern research library requires. This position is part of a three-person team that works cooperatively to ensure reliable performance of systems, provide end-user support, and engage in long and short term planning for technology needs.
The Society's Library, located near Independence Hall in Philadelphia, is a leading international center for research in the history of American science and technology, early American history and culture, and Native American studies. Founded in 1743, the Society’s Library houses over 12 million manuscripts, 300,000 volumes and bound periodicals, and thousands of maps and prints. The Library does not hold materials on philosophy in the modern sense. More information about the Society and the APS Library can be found at www.amphilsoc.org.
Recent initiatives at the Library have included: the design and deployment of Islandora, a Fedora-based digital repository; the conversion to the open-source ILS, Koha; the adoption of the request management software Aeon; and the development of an integrated search of all materials held by the Library using XTF.
In addition to library services, the Library’s Technology Department also provides IT services to the entire Society. Working in collaboration with the Web Development Librarian and under the direction of the Associate Librarian for Technical Services, the successful candidate will have excellent communication skills in addition to technological abilities as he or she will be providing service and advice to a diverse constituency. This position requires an innate curiosity; an ability to learn and adapt technologies quickly; and the capacity to anticipate, prevent, and solve problems.
This position may also perform additional duties, such as public reference service or cataloging, depending on the interests of the selected candidate.
- MLS/MSLIS through an ALA-accredited program, or MIS
- Windows and Linux (Debian) Server environments administration
- LAN administration and performance monitoring
- MySQL, MS SQL, XML, XSLT, PHP or similar scripting languages
- ILS (Koha) administration and other library software management systems
- Content Management Systems (especially Drupal)
- Knowledge of electronic records management, digitization strategies and digital preservation issues
- Public service experience in library setting
- Installing, maintaining, and troubleshooting all server hardware and software
- Deploying and monitoring all local and remote backup solutions
- Managing and troubleshooting all databases (backend and frontend)
- Eliminating system redundancies
- Assisting in the planning for future technology developments
- Providing end-user support (internal and external)
- Other duties as assigned by the Associate Librarian for Technical Services or Library Director
Salary: Low 50s, depending on qualifications.
The American Philosophical Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and strongly encourages applications from women and minorities.
Applications review will begin on November 15, 2013. To apply, send letter of application, CV, and three references to:
Sandy Duffy, Assistant to the Librarian at email@example.com.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:44 UTC