DescriptionThe National Library of Ireland (NLI) is seeking two talented and self-motivated graduate software developers to support the enhancement of its digital services infrastructure
Brief Description of Position:
The NLI’s current digital services infrastructure combines open-source software, vendor-supplied products, and locally-developed middleware and interfaces. Core systems include a Library Management System (VTLS Virtua), a discovery layer (VuFind), a digital repository framework (Fedora Commons/Hydra) which employ widely used technologies such as Apache Solr, Ruby on Rails, Zend Framework, MySQL, Oracle, and RESTful web APIs. Successful candidates will join a small team of library technologists and work collaboratively with librarians, archivists, metadata specialists, software vendors, and open-source communities. This is an excellent opportunity to work in a stimulating, challenging environment, to solve interesting problems, and to gain experience in industry-standard technologies and in best practice approaches within the digital library domain.
- The main development will focus on enhancing to the NLI’s existing digital repository system. Using the Hydra technology stack (http://projecthydra.org), successful candidates will develop processing pipelines and end-user applications to ensure the orderly processing, management, preservation and online delivery of digital assets and their associated metadata.
- Provide analysis and programming support for data mapping and conversion projects
- Provide analysis and programming support for systems and workflow integration projects
- Further develop and integrate the NLI’s online catalogue and public web-interfaces
- Contribute to the maintenance, deployment and documentation of code produced within the Information Systems team
- Represent the National Library in the digital library and open source communities
How to apply
Eoghan Ó Carragáin
Published: Friday, August 2, 2013 08:11 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:44 UTC