DescriptionThe Georgia Institute of Technology Library invites applications from creative, highly technical and innovative professionals to join the Library Information Technology and Development department to bring user-centered library technology to the Georgia Tech community. The primary responsibility of the position is to develop, implement and support complex software systems and library applications. The position will provide programming expertise and support a variety of library systems including but not limited to the integrated library system, proxy server, web and mobile applications, and digital library repositories.
Perform advanced level system analysis, definition and design activities usually of a complex nature. Maintains existing applications.
- Analyze user requirements, determine technical level of effort required and prepare technical design and specifications.
- Develop, test and implement technical solutions. Prepare application test plans and conduct unit, integration and system testing.
- Analyze, modify and maintain existing applications.
- Prepare technical, operational and user related documentation in support of applications.
- Provide technical support to functional users, determining and solving systems and programming issues.
- Assist in conducting informal and formal end user training.
- Advise on and review work of other analysts as needed.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Provide programming support for library applications, systems and technologies that will increase and improve access to academic resources.
- Work collaboratively with other library developers to support a variety of commercial and open source systems.
- Develop, maintain and enhance integration between library systems, other campus systems and cloud services.
- Serve as a technical lead for the integration of library resources into the campus course management system and the development of a customized library web page for students.
- The position will report to and assist the Technology and Systems Librarian.
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree
- Work Experience: four to five years job related experience.
- Skills: This job requires advanced knowledge and skills in application of query language, web development tools, procedural development tools, relational databases, structured programming and understanding of the software development life cycle.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer/information science/systems or an equivalent degree.
- Five years programming experience.
- High proficiency in at least two of these programming languages: PHP, Java, Perl, Python, Ruby, or XSLT.
- Working knowledge of relational databases such as Oracle, PostgreSQL or MySQL.
- Working knowledge of Integrated Library Systems.
- Experience with Content Management Systems.
- Competence with UNIX and Linux operating systems.
- Experience with open source software.
- Strong analytical problem-solving capabilities and technical expertise.
- Excellent written and oral communication/presentation skills.
- Ability to work independently and in a team.
- Master’s degree from an ALA-accredited college or university in library science or information and library sciences * .
- An understanding of MARC and XML.
- Experience with integrating library resources into content management systems.
Salary & Benefits
The benefits package includes 15 days vacation, 12 paid holidays, 12 days sick leave, health/dental insurance options, and retirement options including the Teachers Retirement System of Georgia or optional retirement plans, including TIAA/CREF. Relocation Allowance supported by the Price Gilbert Jr. Charitable Fund. Visit the Georgia Tech Human Resources site to view the benefits package.
Applications will be reviewed beginning January 31, 2012, and will be accepted until the position is filled. Candidates are urged to apply as soon as possible to receive full consideration. Employment is contingent on proof of the legal right to work in the United States. Send letter of application, resume, and names, addresses, e-mail addresses, and phone numbers of 5 references to:
Sharon Baines, SPHR
Library and Information Center
Georgia Institute of Technology
Atlanta, GA 30332-0900
Email Sharon Baines
* Applicants with a Master’s degree from an ALA-accredited college or university in library science or information and library sciences will be considered for a Georgia Tech librarian/faculty position.
An Equal Employment Opportunity Institution. The university has a strong commitment to diversity and
encourages applications from candidates of diverse cultural backgrounds.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:47 UTC