Brief Description of Duties:
Under the general direction of the Special Collections Manager, the Digital Curation Librarian is primarily responsible for managing digitization for the Library¿s unique and historical materials and curating digital content.
- Manage a growing digital image collection and its metadata.
- Assist with prioritization of collections for digitization and manage the digitization schedule.
- Coordinate outsourced projects with vendors; implement internal quality checks for deliverables.
- Develop efficient workflow models for in-house digitization and scan-on-demand services.
- Develop online exhibits and programming to promote the digital special collections.
- Advise the Special Collections Manager on issues related to the Library¿s digital assets management system (DAMS), the DAMS as it relates to the OPAC, and other discovery tools.
- Stay apprised of current and future trends and technology for digital collections, cataloging, and digital preservation.
- Maintain written standards and guidelines for creating, managing, preserving, describing, and delivering files;
- Participate in a new Advisory Board to strengthen DCPL¿s digitization program, explore digital access partnerships, and keep pace with best practices and new technology.
- Work with Special Collections Manager to implement proper copyright and rights management practices for digitization;
- Provide customer service both virtually and in Special Collections¿ Reading rooms.
- A Master's degree in Library Science from an ALA accredited library school is required;
- specialized training preferred and/or experience in digitization.
- Experience with relevant software and an application is preferred (i.e. XML, HTML, EAD, MARC, Dublin Core, Archivists' Toolkit, CONTENTdm, CollectiveAccess, VuFind, and general open source software).
General Job Information
Pay Plan, Series & Grade: CS-1410-11
Agency: DC Public Library
Area of Consideration: Open to the Public
Opening date: July 19, 2013
Closing Date: August 17, 2013
Salary Range: $54,633 - $70,437
Number of Vacancies: 1
Collective Bargaining Unit (Union): This position is in the collective bargaining unit represented by Local 1808 and you may be required to pay an agency service fee through direct payroll deduction.
Duration of Appointment: Regular Full-Time
Tour of Duty: Full-time, 40 hours per week, including evenings and weekends
Promotion Potential: None
Duration of Appointment: Term Appointment (not to exceed 13 months)
How to apply
Published: Monday, July 22, 2013 17:24 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:45 UTC