DescriptionPosition Summary: Reporting to the Digital Initiatives Librarian, the Digital Projects Librarian will be responsible for the long-term preservation of FAU's digital collections in the Florida Digital Archive. The desired candidate will have an understanding of emergent and best practices, standards, issues, and trends relating to digital initiatives in an academic library environment. The primary responsibility of this candidate will be the long-term preservation of existing FAU digital content files using the Florida Digital Archives web ingest platform and FTP server to send submission information packages. Experience should reflect the ability to create and edit METs and XML files used to create packages.
The Digital Projects Librarian will handle day-to-day production tasks and ensure the smooth running of the open journal publishing platform. Key tasks include assisting with the submission system, managing and providing quality control for electronic files accepted for publication, creating keywords, abstracts, and indexing data, and updating journal webpages. Experience should reflect use of open source publishing software and familiarity with creating and editing HTML webpage files.
In addition to publishing and preservation assignments the Digital Projects Librarian will enrich existing Dublin Core metadata records using MODS for digital collections migrated into a soon to be implemented Fedora based digital library platform.
A Master's Degree in Library and Information Science from and ALA-accredited institution. One year experience working in the area of digital curation. Experience using scholarly publishing open source software to create open access journals and provide instructional support to faculty and campus partners seeking to publish in open journals.
- Demonstrated knowledge of bibliographic and access standards and preservation practices (e.g. MARCXML, METS, MODS, XML).
- Demonstrated knowledge of controlled vocabularies use (e.g. LCSH, MeSH) and subject vocabulary thesauri (e.g. Getty Geographic names, Art & Architecture, Marine Metadata Interoperability).
- Experience with open-source software tools for publishing (e.g. Open Journal Systems).
- Experience in software editing and creating CSS/HTML for webpages (e.g. Dreamweaver).
- Knowledge of the Microsoft Office suite of software and experience in effectively using Word, Excel, and PowerPoint to create documents, reports, and presentations.
- Ability to work independently, as well as collaboratively, plan, coordinate, and implement digital projects, including managing multiple and simultaneous projects.
- Strong organization and project management skills with the ability to create reports and update project documentation.
- Experience with abstracting and indexing.
- College/Department: S.E. Wimberly Library
- Campus: Boca Raton
- Special Instructions to the Applicant: All applicants must apply electronically to the currently posted position on the Office of Human Resources' job website (https://jobs.fau.edu) by completing the Faculty, Administrative, Managerial & Professional Position Application and submitting the related documents.
Degrees from outside the United States must be validated by an organization belonging to the National Association of Credential Evaluation Service (NACES), with an indication of the documents the evaluation was prepared from (official transcripts, diplomas, dissertation abstracts). The evaluation should be scanned and electronically attached to one's application as with other US-based transcripts.
Prior to appointment, the candidate must submit official, sealed transcripts from all institutions where graduate coursework was attempted, whether or not a degree was obtained, as well as an original NACES evaluation, if applicable. Transcripts must be issued to Florida Atlantic University not to you as the student.
A background check will be required for the candidate selected for this position. This position is subject to funding.
Individuals requiring accommodation, please call 561-297-3057.
Quicklink for Posting: jobs.fau.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=57143
How to apply
Published: Wednesday, July 17, 2013 12:38 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:45 UTC