DescriptionLibrary Information Technology
Yale University Library
New Haven, CT
Salary Grade: 25
Schedule: Full-time (37.5 hours per week); Standard Work Week (M-F, 8:30 – 5:00)
The University and the Library:
The Yale University Library, as one of the world's leading research libraries, collects, organizes, preserves, and provides access to and services for a rich and unique record of human thought and creativity. It fosters intellectual growth and is a highly valued partner in the teaching and research missions of Yale University and scholarly communities worldwide. A distinctive strength is its rich spectrum of resources, including more than 15 million volumes and information in all media, ranging from ancient papyri to early printed books to electronic databases. The Library is engaged in numerous digital initiatives designed to provide access to a full array of scholarly information. Housed in 15 libraries, including Sterling Memorial, Beinecke, and Bass libraries, it employs a dynamic, diverse, and innovative staff of over 500 who have the opportunity to work with the highest caliber of faculty and students, participate on committees, and who are involved in other areas of staff development. For additional information on the Yale University Library, please visit the Library's web site at www.library.yale.edu.
Under the supervision of the Library Chief Technology Officer, manages and monitors the design, development, implementation, and communication of policies and practices for a sub-unit within the Library Information Technology department that supports the Yale University Library.
Responsible for maintaining a reliable and secure computing infrastructure for library staff and patrons, including network architecture, as well as identity and access management, which are strategic initiatives at both the University and Library levels. Coordinates with Yale ITS on computing infrastructure issues as needed, including serving on relevant architecture committees.
Manages Library IT Support staff. Recruits, trains, and manages a team of support technicians responsible for delivering expert, efficient, and cordial computing support to the Library’s staff, as well as some specialized patron systems.
Designs and maintains the desktop, laptop, and mobile computing environment for the Library, including hardware, OS, and productivity software suites that will be supported. Designs and supports Library audiovisual infrastructure and architecture; enhancing this infrastructure is one of the Library’s current strategic objectives. Manages a $375K+ equipment budget including a bi-annual equipment request cycle. Works on special projects as assigned by the CTO.
Library IT Client Services is a tier 1, 2, & 3 support organization focused on interacting with Library customers on a daily basis. We are the first point of contact for many IT services and our emphasis is on enhancing the productivity of our customers by providing service as reliably and efficiently as possible. Our primary objectives include providing great customer service and improving customer satisfaction.
1. Reviews and determines staffing needs, job posting requirements, salary guidelines, and labor agreement interpretations for exempt and non-exempt staff in one or more functional department of the University.
2. Manages the administrative support needs for exempt and nonexempt staff and provides recommendations, improvements, solutions and assistance as needed.
3. Manages and monitors technology needs, conducts inventory, and system requirements for the assigned departments.
4. Develops and prepares budgets, financial forecasts, and financial analyses and the actual vs. budgeted performance reports for the departments.
5. Manages the use of facilities in one or more departments including office space, work stations, equipment, and office supplies.
6. Manages administrative support for activities of one or more departments to ensure timely completion of projects.
7. Manages and coordinates training sessions for assigned departments when new policies or practices are adopted.
8. Ensures compliance with University and federal regulations as they apply to the assigned departments.
9. Identifies, plans, and develops administrative policies for the assigned departments.
10. Assists in reviewing and implements University and departmental policies as they pertain to the administrative functions of the assigned department.
11. Assesses and makes recommendations regarding staff development and staffing levels.
12. Monitors, develops, plans, and executes systematic research on user requirements through such mechanisms as surveys, interviews, focus groups and competitive analysis.
13. Manages a staff of exempt and non-exempt employees.
14. May perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s Degree in related field and 5 years of experience or an equivalent combination of education and related experience.
Required Skills and Abilities:
1. Demonstrated ability to manage, mentor and develop staff, including technical areas. Demonstrated exceptional customer service skills. Demonstrated ability to motivate and mobilize a team around shared goals. Demonstrated project management skills.
2. Advanced skills with contemporary desktop computing technology, including Mac, Windows, Unix, and Mobile OS, hardware, and software applications.
3. In-depth ability with Active Directory and its components: implementing group policy, managing computers, organizational units, users, groups, profiles, software management and deployment.
4. Comprehensive, expert-level ability with desktop operating environments.
5. Demonstrated ability with SQL databases and administering SQL databases.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills:
1. Management experience in a higher education environment.
2. Demonstrated knowledge of BigFix Relevance.
3. Experience with VBScript, Visual Basic, Visual Studio, and Windows Software Development Kit.
Preferred Licenses or Certifications:
ITIL Foundations, Service Now, Microsoft Certifications.
Salary and Benefits:
We invite you to discover the excitement, diversity, rewards and excellence of a career at Yale University. One of the country's great workplaces, Yale University offers exciting opportunities for meaningful accomplishment and true growth. Our benefits package is among the best anywhere, with a wide variety of insurance choices, liberal paid time off, fantastic family and educational benefits, a variety of retirement benefits, extensive recreational facilities, and much more.
Applications consisting of a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information of three professional references should be sent by creating an account and applying online at http://www.yale.edu/jobs for immediate consideration - the STARS req ID for this position is 21569BR. Please be sure to reference #21569BR in your cover letter.
Background Check Requirements:
All external candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent on successful completion of a background check. Please visit http://www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
Yale University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Yale values diversity in its faculty, staff, and students and strongly encourages applications from women and members of underrepresented minority groups.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:45 UTC