DescriptionSTATE OF OREGON
invites applications for the position of:
Librarian (Cataloging Services Librarian)
JOB CODE: OSL13-0001Temp
OPENING DATE/TIME: 06/05/13 12:00 AM
CLOSING DATE/TIME: 06/16/13 11:59 PM
SALARY: $1,826.00 - $2,670.50 Monthly
JOB TYPE: Temporary
LOCATION: Salem, Oregon
AGENCY: State Library-Government Research Services
The Oregon State Library is currently accepting applications to fill a Temporary, approximately 6 month duration, Part-Time (50%), Librarian position in the Government Research Services section. This position is not benefit eligible.
This recruitment announcement will be used to establish a list of qualified candidates to fill the current vacancy and may be used to fill future vacancies as they occur.
The Oregon State Library is an independent state agency governed by a seven-member Board of Trustees appointed by the Governor under ORS 357. The State Library plays a vital role in state government, proudly providing services for over 100 years. The mission of the Oregon State Library is to provide quality information services to Oregon state government; provide reading materials to blind and print-disabled Oregonians; and provides leadership, grants, and other assistance to improve library service for all Oregonians.
The State Library consists of five teams-- Government Research Services, Library Administrative Services, Library Development Services, Talking Book and Braille Services and Management Team -- operating on a biennial budget of approximately $14.7 million with 39.26 FTE. The State Library also has one of the best volunteer programs in state government, made up of talented individuals who donate their time to help achieve the mission and goals of the agency.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Cataloging of complex Oregon documents and review of other Oregon document cataloging as needed;
- Provide professional cataloging services for OSL for all collections and formats, especially items requiring complex original cataloging;
- Ensure consistent application of name and subject headings and classification for OSL for all collections and formats through workflow coordination and reviewing the work of other members of the catalog services workgroup;
- Review and approve cataloging performed by Cataloging Specialists.
- Staff Reference desk as needed: Answers basic reference questions. Helps patrons with public access terminals, copy machines, and microfilm reader-printers. Answers telephone and forwards calls to appropriate person. Markets OSL services to state employees;
Participate in the GRS team including:
- Team meetings and in support of team projects
- Support of the team agreements and service model
- Contribute to a positive and productive work environment, work cooperatively with coworkers, and provide positive customer service to the public, coworkers and other state employees;
- Regular attendance is an essential function required to meet the demands of this job and provide necessary services.
- Typical office environment in a shared office.
- Uses word processing, spreadsheets, budget reporting, email and Internet access software and programs on microcomputer.
- Uses fax and other office equipment.
- Occasional lifting of library materials and equipment weighing up to 20 pounds. Extended periods of use and exposure to video display monitors.
An American Library Association (ALA) accredited Master of Library Science degree.
Strong knowledge of the principles and practices of cataloging, including nationally accepted rules and standards such as AACR2R, LCRIs, LCSH, MARC formats, RDA and other metadata standards;
Thorough knowledge of Dewey Decimal Classification system and Library of Congress subject headings and other cataloging factors.
How to apply
Published: Thursday, June 6, 2013 00:51 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:45 UTC