Software Developer (Java)
An opportunity exists for one or more experienced software developers to work within the team environment of the University of Maryland (UM) Libraries in College Park, the largest university library system in the region and in close proximity to the nation’s capital. Visit the UM Libraries web-site at http://www.lib.umd.edu.
Note: this announcement will be used to fill TWO vacancies.
The UM Libraries’ Information Technology Division supports the library automation needs of the University System of Maryland and Affiliated Institutions (USMAI). Working within a team environment, the successful candidate(s) will provide broad programming support to the UM Libraries for the design, development, and delivery of Java-based software applications, large-scale digital collections, and web interfaces. The successful candidate(s) will:
- Design and develop tools for managing production workflows, large-scale ingestion, inventory control and preservation of digital collections;
- Select and utilize appropriate software languages, frameworks and platforms for new and existing library projects;
- Provide object-oriented programming for various library initiatives;
- Provide web interface development support for digital collection management systems;
- Research and develop applications to interface with bibliographic systems, acquisition systems, reference and circulation systems;
- Utilize project management tools such as JIRA to record and monitor progress; and
- Lead technical development on some projects.
- Bachelor’s degree in a field related to information sciences, computer sciences and engineering, or information management
- Minimum of three (3) years of programming experience using the Java language
- Experience creating web applications using JSP
- Experience using JDBC to interact with a relational database such as PostgreSQL or MySQL
- Experience using version control software such as Subversion or Git
- Excellent interpersonal skills; Excellent written and verbal communications skills
APPLICATIONS: Electronic applications required. Please apply online at https://jobs.umd.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=56411. No relocation assistance will be provided. The University of Maryland Libraries will not sponsor individuals for employment. You must be legally able to work in the United States. An application consists of a cover letter which includes the source of advertisement, a resume and names/e-mail addresses of three references. Applications will be reviewed as they are received and accepted until March 9, 2012.
The University of Maryland, College Park, actively subscribes to a policy of equal employment opportunity, and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race, age, sex, color, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, religion, ancestry or national origin, marital status, genetic information, or political affiliation. Minorities and women are encouraged to apply.
How to apply
Published: Tuesday, February 21, 2012 21:26 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:47 UTC