Center for the History of Medicine and Public Health
The New York Academy of Medicine advances the health of people in cities. An independent organization since 1847, NYAM addresses the health challenges facing the world's urban populations through interdisciplinary approaches to policy leadership, education, community engagement and innovative research.
Drawing on the expertise of diverse partners worldwide and more than 2,000 elected Fellows from across the professions, our current priorities are
To create environments in cities that support healthy aging
To strengthen systems that prevent disease and promote the public's health
To implement interventions that eliminate health disparities
Summary and Description
We are looking for an energetic and creative librarian to implement and manage our e-resources, Integrated Library System (ILS), and web 2.0 based projects. We are looking for an individual up to date with the rapidly changing digital environment with excellent teamwork and communication skills.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Manage and maintain electronic resources, including A-Z list, link resolver, and EZProxy
• Support the activities of technical services, including serials maintenance and cataloging, as needed
• May be asked to supervise work of one or more part-time assistants or interns
• Set up trials and assist in evaluating electronic products; assist with pricing and licensing negotiations as needed; make recommendations to Library director and staff
• Take a lead role in data migrations and data clean-up for the ILS
• Provide technical support to library colleagues, in particular for the Grey Literature Report
• Maintain and customize style sheets for Historical Collections finding aids in collaboration with the Project Archivist
• In collaboration with other technical services librarians and the manager of document delivery, represent the library to WALDO and PTFS/LibLime regarding maintenance and development of library catalog (LibLime Enterprise Koha)
• Create catalog reports as necessary using SQL; maintain custom reporting interface for library staff, currently written in PHP
• Update website content and assist professional staff with website updates in Convio content management system
• Customize, configure, and support the use of online products including but not limited to library catalog, CONTENTdm, A-Z list/e-journal portal, LibGuides, Refworks, and subscription bibliographic databases.
• Along with the IT dept, assist Document Delivery with implementation and maintenance of software, including Quick Doc and Ariel
• Stay abreast of current developments in library standards and technologies, and apply that knowledge to everyday projects and recommendations
ALA-accredited Master of Library Science or related degree.
• Minimum of three years administering integrated library systems
• Knowledge of MARC and AACR2; copy cataloging and original cataloging
• PHP and at least one other programming language
• Familiarity with OCLC Connexion, Koha, Drupal, MARCEdit, and CONTENTdm
• Knowledge of National Library of Medicine (NLM) Classification and Medical Subject Headings (MeSH)
• Familiarity with XML, XSLT, Encoded Archival Description (EAD), and finding aids
• Ability and willingness to represent the Center at various committees and organizations as required
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Experience with Convio content management system preferred
Please email a resume and cover letter with three references to email@example.com. Please include “E-Resources/Systems Librarian" in subject line.
For more information, visit our website: www.nyam.org.
The New York Academy of Medicine is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:45 UTC
How to apply
Published: Monday, April 29, 2013 14:36 UTC