We're looking for programmers who want to learn how to build a top-tier social network, love to build cool stuff and work hard, can communicate well, and have a personality that fits in with ours.
As a Software Engineer, you will be in charge of helping to develop new products and features and scale existing ones. You should be comfortable discussing Memcache, MySQL optimization, Lucene, Facebook API, XML/JSON/REST, nginx/haproxy, AJAX user interface design, and more.
Our development philosophy is to work individually or in pairs, building everything from front-end to back-end. We divide up work on a project to project basis, and you'd be responsible for making sure your features have a clear user-interface, scale for millions of users, and have legible and easy to maintain code. You should be comfortable with those skills or dying to learn them!Required Skills:
- Proficient programming with MVC frameworks. Ruby on Rails is preferred, but we'll take PHP, Python or Java.
- Knowledge of SQL (MySQL preferred).
- Comfort using the Linux operating system (shell scripting, cronjobs, installing software, etc).
- Quick learner, must be able to pick up new technologies quickly
- Reading books!
- Building social networks and building great product.
- A/B testing and optimizing user experience.
- Building large scale websites (MySQL, Memcached, Sharding, etc)
- Thinking creatively and engaging and listening to users.
- Experience building your own website or startup or iphone app is a plus - we like entrepreneurs.
- Senior Software Engineer
- Data Mining Engineer
- Junior Software Engineer
Interested candidates should submit their resume, a code sample, a paragraph or two about why they want to work for Goodreads, and their solution to our design challenge to email@example.com. This position is for our office in downtown San Francisco, CA.
How to apply
Published: Sunday, January 22, 2012 13:27 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:47 UTC