DescriptionThe Library at Carleton University invites applications from qualified candidates for the position of
Systems Librarian – Systems Integration and Emerging Technologies. This is a one year contract
position with possibility of renewal.
Description of Position Details:
Under the direction of the Head of the Systems Department, the incumbent supports the adoption,
technical integration and management of emerging technologies, automated systems, networks and digital developments in the Library. This position has a significant role in the planning and implementation of new technologies, digital projects, and service initiatives for a diverse academic and research community. The incumbent works in close collaboration with library colleagues, and other campus administrative and academic departments to develop new systems, and improve the efficiency and integration of existing systems. Performs other related duties as required.
Applicants must have anUndergraduate degree plus a Master’s degree in Library and Information Science from an accredited library school; In addition, formal coursework and/or in-depth experience in information technology, computer science, and software engineering include technology studies or computer science is strongly preferred. Previous library experience, preferably four years of professional experience, with emphasis on information technology, systems support, application / service development and emerging technologies.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
• Familiarity with the range of social media and mash up tools (e.g. Chat/IM, blogs, wikis), eLearning, and open content, and their use in academic and library contexts.
• Familiarity with linked data, semantic web and related technologies.
• In-depth knowledge and experience necessary to explore, develop, promote, and assess innovative online tools, digital initiatives, emerging web and mobile technologies.
• Familiarity with established standards, and protocols in IT including in-depth knowledge of library metadata, including harvesting and repurposing of existing data and digital assets.
• Experience in software and systems implementation; understanding of requirements setting and use-case development.
• Knowledge of systems and instructional design principles and the ability to apply those principles to software implementation and training.
• Technologically competent with creative problem solving skills, attentive to detail, curious, flexible, strong analytical skills and the ability to work independently.
• Advanced skills in development for mobile technologies and web programming would be an asset.
• Demonstrated willingness to collaborate and share expertise, ability to work in teams and negotiate solutions with diverse groups. Proven ability to take initiative and communicate goals and challenges
Published: Wednesday, April 17, 2013 09:53 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:45 UTC