DescriptionPLEASE NOTE: This is a term appointment.
Harvard University IT Library Technology Services (LTS) is seeking a Systems Librarian II to ensure that enterprise library technology applications support the objectives and information management needs of the Harvard Library. The Library Systems team supports a large portfolio of enterprise library applications which support collection management, digital repository services, and discovery and access services.
Systems include HOLLIS Classic/Aleph (integrated library system), HOLLIS (AquaBrowser discovery system), DRS (Digital Repository Service), Cognos (library reporting system), MetaLib (federated searching and electronic resource discovery tool), SFX (link server and electronic journals discovery tool), EZProxy (authentication system), Verde (electronic resources management system), ILLiad (interlibrary loan system), Aeon (special collections system), and Borrow Direct (interlibrary loan system), Visual Collection systems, archives management systems, and others.
The Systems Librarian II works closely with library staff to conduct business analysis and identify objectives and requirements for systems and services. This person, as a member of Library Systems group, will collaborate with Harvard Library staff as well as other groups within LTS and HUIT to implement the appropriate technology solutions and tools, with primary responsibilities for acquisitions and electronic resources systems and services.
Systems analysis and customization
- Work at a high technical level on most phases of systems analysis while considering the business implications of the application technology to the current and future business environments.
- Apply expertise in library technology to the process of analyzing problems and creating solutions and enhancements.
- Create, review and update business requirements specifications, collaborate with project teams, and assist with training support teams and users.
- Collaborate with clients and stakeholders to analyze, prioritize, and document enhancements to existing and new applications.
- Conduct interviews to assist in analyzing the need for new/enhanced system functionality as well as to identify workflow issues and propose solutions.
- Monitor systems and take action as necessary to ensure the continued successful operation of complex automated systems
- Coordinate with vendors as needed. Perform user needs analysis, product evaluation, selection, customization, testing, implementation, and support.
- Project planning and management
- Create and maintain project documentation
- Communicate with vendors, project staff, and LTS stakeholders about project status
- Collaborate with HUIT colleagues and staff across the University to ensure successful integration with existing systems and infrastructure.
- Develop and execute rollout strategies.
- User support
- Provide tier three support for library staff in designated areas
- Prepare, distribute and maintain user documentation including review of training documentation
- With library staff, analyze workflows to implement appropriate system configuration and to develop "best practice" procedures
- Masters in Library and Information Science or equivalent experience required
- At least 3-4 years experience working in a research library
- At least 2-3 years experience in a systems librarian role
- Demonstrated aptitude for technical analysis and problem solving
- Ability to think analytically
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to describe complex functions and processes coherently, unambiguously, and in a well-organized fashion
- Strong organizational skills and ability to manage multiple competing priorities
- Familiarity with unix fundamentals
- Ability to design and implement moderately complex processes and/or systems in a relevant language or technology
- Ability to write scripts and/or use relevant system utilities
- Experience in programming or troubleshooting in an IT systems environment
- Ability to work well with operational level library staff individually and on committees
- Ability to carry out projects and extensive tasks with limited supervision
- Demonstrated creativity, initiative, and sense of responsibility for achieving the goals of the organization
- Ability to schedule own time and set own priorities in order to meet multiple competing priorities and overlapping deadlines
- Experience with Aleph/Hollis.
- Experience working in a Harvard library
Please note: Harvard University requires pre-employment reference and background screening. Harvard University IT is unable to provide work authorization and/or visa sponsorship. This position has a 180-day probationary period.
Published: Friday, March 29, 2013 11:25 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:45 UTC