Institutional Repository & Systems Librarian
Western Oregon University — Monmouth
0 other recent jobs
Created: March 27, 2013
DescriptionInstitutional Repository & Systems Librarian
Recruitment Number: F1304
Annual Salary: $51,366 (Plus excellent 95% employer paid benefit package)
Application Deadline: Review of applications begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Description of position:
Western Oregon University seeks a creative and user-oriented individual to serve as Institutional Repository and Systems Librarian. This person will take the lead in promotion and continued development of our institutional repository, DigitalCommons@WOU, which is hosted on the Bepress Digital Commons platform. Additionally, this person will share leadership and responsibility for planning, developing, integrating, implementing, and maintaining other digital systems and services through which the library supports users in finding and using information. This is a new position, created to support our strategic efforts to improve student success. We invite applications from qualified individuals who value student and colleague engagement and are interested in working within a diverse, innovative, and learning-centered environment. The successful applicant will enter as Assistant Professor into a full-time, 12-month, tenure-track position. The librarians share responsibilities for collection development, instruction, and reference, and they participate fully in faculty governance. This position reports to the Dean of the Library, who leads the library faculty in a consensus model of management.
Responsibilities and duties include:
* Promoting and growing IR collections through collaboration with library staff and the broader campus community, as well as advising the campus community about authors’ rights and other issues related to scholarly communication.
* Managing the daily operation and website maintenance of the IR, including developing and updating appropriate policies, procedures, workflows, and standards for cataloging, metadata, and other issues relating to supporting databases.
* Maintaining and developing new partnerships with library subject liaisons, faculty, departments and research units, and journal editors for adding content to the repository.
* Collaborating with colleagues in investigating, evaluating, recommending, and implementing technologies to improve service and optimize the information technology resources.
* Collaborating with colleagues and University IT staff in evaluating, creating or adapting new applications or services to meet library needs.
* Assisting in planning, organization, and management of transition from the current Innovative Interfaces, Inc. integrated library system (ILS) to the new Ex Libris ILS to be shared by the libraries of the Orbis Cascade Alliance.
* Participate in relevant projects of the Orbis Cascade Alliance.
Campus and Community Responsibilities
Librarians participate in campus and professional committees and service activities; work toward promotion and tenure.
* ALA-accredited master’s degree in library/information science. At least one year professional or paraprofessional library experience.
* Knowledge of one or more scripting languages necessary to library software (e.g. PHP, SQL, Java, Python, Ruby, etc.).
* Knowledge of institutional repository management, including policy matters, intellectual property issues, and strategies for recruiting appropriate content
* An understanding of the functional, operational, and service needs of libraries in order to develop gateways between the library’s online resources and locally developed or third party applications.
* Strong project management, interpersonal, and communication skills
* Enthusiasm for contributing to a collaborative work environment and demonstrated ability to work well independently and collegially.
* Experience in developing and/or managing an institutional repository
* Outreach experience and knowledge of marketing techniques
* Experience working with integrated library systems in an academic library
* Demonstrated familiarity with cataloging and metadata standards, communication standards, and classification systems
Start Date: July 1, 2013
Questions regarding this position may be directed to Camila Gabaldón (email@example.com) or Erin Passehl (firstname.lastname@example.org), Search Committee Co-Chairs. For questions regarding the application process or to submit your application documents, please contact Human Resources at 503-838-8552 or email@example.com.
Required application materials:
* WOU Faculty Application Form (available at www.wou.edu/facultyapp)
* Letter of interest that addresses the responsibilities and qualifications
* Current curriculum vitae or resume
* Librarianship and Teaching Philosophy Statement
* Unofficial copy of transcripts for MLS/MLIS degree
* Names and complete contact information for at least three (3) professional or work references.
Submit Application Materials to:
F1304 Institutional Repository and Systems Librarian
Western Oregon University
Human Resources Office
345 N. Monmouth Ave.
Monmouth, OR 97361
-OR- E-mail as an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org -OR- Fax to 503-838-8144.
Western Oregon University (WOU) is a mid-sized public comprehensive university located in the MonmouthIndependence area, the heart of Oregon’s lush Willamette Valley. The university serves a large number of firstgeneration college students. WOU has received national recognition for its commitment and success in serving students. The campus is about 20 minutes from Salem, the state’s capital, about 75 minutes from Portland, the state’s cultural hub, and a short drive from the Oregon coast, mountains, and other scenic areas. The university is located in an increasingly diverse, bilingual, and rural area in the Willamette Valley. Our student body of about 6200 undergraduate and 800 graduate students enjoys the vibrant and close-knit intellectual community of a leading liberal arts college.
Western Oregon University is an equal opportunity employer committed to increasing the diversity of its workforce
How to apply
Published: Wednesday, March 27, 2013 03:01 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:45 UTC