Academic Benchmarks is a small, highly profitable company that provides services to the leading K-12 education technology and publishing companies. We’ve spent the last 10 years building an enviable portfolio of clients and valuable intellectual property in our quest to help users address the complexities of meaningfully describing educational resources for search and alignment. Our efforts have enabled educators in classrooms across the world to effectively determine the most appropriate materials to help their students succeed.
Over the last ten years, Academic Benchmarks has changed the way education technology has used academic standards data. The company possesses the most comprehensive collection of standards and related descriptive metadata in K-12 education. Building on this wealth of data, the company now seeks to explore ways to enhance and expand the client accessibility to this data. The newly created Data Librarian position will play a critical role in determining how Academic Benchmarks charts its path forward and prepares for increased growth.
● Participate in the evaluation of metadata effectiveness and perform necessary maintenance tasks on metadata to ensure its accuracy and continued access for the AB client community and staff.
● Oversee collection management, metadata, document delivery, user education/outreach services, and influence web development and technology applications.
● Collaborate with Development team on metadata library maintenance and upgrade.
● Assist in the delivery of standards and other metadata to external content, assessment, and platform providers and identify ways to improve information retrieval capabilities.
● Recommend, improve, and enforce SOP’s pertaining to rules, policies, and security issues to maximize the tracking and accountability of company’s metadata assets.
● Ongoing inventory of stored material to efficiently identify assets, and maintaining a regular database and inventory report for appropriate internal teams.
● Assist in the selection of standards and metadata vocabularies for inclusion in the library to meet the Academic Benchmarks clients and Development information needs.
● Conduct searches of learning standards and metadata initiatives, analyzes and evaluates data, extracts pertinent information.
● Degree in Library Science and a minimum 3-years recent work experience.
● Familiarity with content of K-12 education and information resources.
● Demonstrated project management, analytical, and problem solving skills, with an aptitude for complex and detailed work.
● Knowledge of discovery tools and metadata practices supporting discovery, specifically in a library context; awareness of current issues and trends in metadata and digital library development; demonstrated programming skill and ability (Python, PHP, Perl, etc.), especially related to metadata manipulation preferred.
● Knowledge of information technologies such as search, library automation, collaboration, API, RSS, blogs, and wikis.
● Ability to develop strong working relationships with internal groups and existing clients.
● Ability to take initiative and to be self-directed and motivated.
● 100% employer paid health, dental and vision for employee (and reasonable costs for your qualified dependents)
● Ample paid time off and company holidays
Location: Cincinnati, OH or Washington, DC
Interested candidates should submit their resume and compensation expectations to Matt Doherty, matt (at) academicbenchmarks (dot) com.
How to apply
Published: Friday, March 22, 2013 21:14 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:45 UTC