Project Archivist, Theatre
Created: March 13, 2013
Abbey Theatre Dublin0 other recent jobs
DescriptionThe Abbey Theatre is Ireland’s national theatre and occupies a unique position in the
hearts and minds of Irish people. It has two theatres: the Abbey, with a capacity of 492
seats, and the Peacock, with a capacity of 132 seats. The Abbey is committed to producing
a year round programme of work both on and off stage, with the priority to create work of
excellence, which not only showcases Irish and international drama but also engages with
the artistic and civic life of contemporary Ireland.
PURPOSE OF JOB:
This is a unique opportunity to work on The Abbey Theatre / NUI Galway partnership to
digitise the archival holdings of the Abbey Theatre and on other projects. The Project
Archivist will work closely with the Abbey Theatre Archivist on the digitisation project and
will work within the work-plan prepared by the Abbey Theatre Archivist.
JOB REQUIREMENTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Duties include but are not limited to:
• Preparation of materials for cataloguing and digitisation.
• Cataloguing of donated collections to ISAD (G) standards.
• Administrative support to the digitisation project.
• Assistance with internal archive queries from the Director’s office.
• Coordination of archival material for exhibitions and other public events and
• Administrative support for the research, scheduling and implementation of an Oral
• Any other duties that are deemed reasonable and appropriate.
The post holder will have:
• Applicants must hold a postgraduate qualification in Archival Science recognised
by the Archives and Records Association.
• At least three years’ experience within an archive or museum environment.
• A proven ability to work well as part of a team.
• Excellent IT skills including database experience.
• A high level of organisation and administrative skills.
• Good communication skills.
• Interest in the process and potential of archive digitisation would be an asset.
• An ability to work quickly and accurately to demanding deadlines with minimal
supervision is essential.
• Experience of cataloguing and digitising archival collections is desirable.
• A familiarity with and an interest in arts and culture is desirable.
Literary Director, Archivist, Literary Department, Development Department,
Communications Department, Lighting and Sound Department
NUIG Project Group and other personnel
TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
Post: This is a Fixed Term Contract for 2 years with the Abbey Theatre. Standard hours
are 09.30 to 17.30 Monday to Friday with an hour for lunch.
Rate of pay: Salary commensurate with skills and experience.
Probationary period: 6 months.
Holidays: 24 days per annum (including Good Friday and Christmas Eve) pro rata.
Public Holidays: 9 Public holidays per annum pro rata.
Pension: The Abbey Theatre provides employees with access to a Personal Retirement
savings Scheme Account (PRSA) and will match contributions up to 5.5% of salary.
Employees must contribute a minimum of 3% to avail of employer contributions.
Contributions are made through payroll.
Life Assurance: The Abbey Theatre Group Life Assurance plan provides a benefit to all
employees of 4 times annual salary in the event of death while in service.
Health Insurance: Employers are provided with the option to join the Abbey Theatre –
VHI Group Scheme. Participant employees receive a 10% discount on any VHI plan and
the subscription is deducted through payroll.
RESPONSIBLE TO: Literary Director
Please send a completed Abbey Theatre Application form and an up to date CV to:
Michelle Sheridan, HR Administrator, Abbey Theatre, 26 Lower Abbey Street, Dublin 1
Or alternatively email: email@example.com
The closing date for applications is 12pm on Friday 22ndMarch2013
The Abbey Theatre is an equal opportunities employer.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:45 UTC