Created: March 13, 2013
Newseum Laurel0 other recent jobs
DescriptionAre you looking for an exciting internship that will provide you with the skills necessary to help you obtain full-time archival employment? If so, the Newseum's Summer Archival Internship is for you!
The Newseum, a revolutionary 250,000-square-foot museum of news, offers visitors an experience that blends five centuries of news history with up-to-the-second technology and hands-on exhibits. At the Newseum, we pride ourselves on creating up-to-the minute exhibits and actively collecting modern and historic artifacts. As a Newseum intern you will work with our 35,000 piece historic print news collection at our state-of-the-art support center in Laurel, Maryland.
Internship hours are flexible and can be arranged to fit individuals' schedules. You will be a member of the small, dynamic Collections team and will be able to make an enormous contribution to the work we do. This is a wonderful opportunity to gain behind-the-scenes archival experience with one of Washington, D.C.'s most popular museums!
Intern responsibilities will include assisting the Newseum Archivist with the following tasks:
- Processing historic newspaper collections: re-housing, taking record shots, researching important news events, and cataloging newspapers in the newspaper database
- Identifying newspapers that need repair and conservation
- Retrieving and re-shelving archival materials, including the frequent handling and carrying of 20-40 lb. newspaper boxes
- Preparing newspapers for exhibition, depending upon exhibits schedule
- Candidates should be currently enrolled in or should have recently finished a museum-related, library science-related, or archival-related graduate or undergraduate program, with an interest in collections/archival work
- Excellent computer skills and accuracy in spelling and database entry
- Solid historical research skills and broad knowledge of, and interest in, U.S. and world history.
- The ability to frequently lift and carry 20-40 lb. boxes and lift, reach, and bend with ease.
- Must have dependable transportation to our Laurel, MD facility
Internships last for a minimum of 12 weeks and may be part or full time. This unpaid internship position is for college credit or experience only.
Please email cover letter and resume to Kathyrn Wilmot at kwilmot(at)newseum.org.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:45 UTC