DescriptionCome join a really amazing team on a fun project!
Starting Salary Range: $57,500-$80,500/annually. Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Application Deadline: 03-17-2013 for initial review
The University of California, Santa Cruz (UCSC) Library will lead development on the Omeka Curator Dashboard (OCD) for the curation and management of digital assets in preservation storage repositories for use by archives, educators, libraries and museums. UCSC will develop and apply the OCD prototype to a socially constructed website; leverage micro-services tools from the California Digital Library's Curation Center (UC3) and build workflows and processes interoperable with open-standards based repositories. Omeka is an open source web-publishing platform supporting the display and exhibition of digital collections and is a Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP application. The developer will write Omeka source code and develop plug-ins for appraisal and contributor, metadata and file management functions forming the OCD.
- Bachelor's degree with coursework in computing or information systems and/or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience
- Minimum 1-5 years of related computing or programming work experience
- Substantial experience with a scripting language (PHP Zend framework preferred)
- Substantial experience with MYSQL and understanding of relational and object-oriented database concepts
- Skills and / or experience in architecting web applications that are maintainable over time with few resources
- Substantial experience with XML metadata syntax, creating and using XSLT transformational stylesheets and cascading-stylesheets (CSS)
- Experience with current software development methodologies and tools, such as agile and scrum, test driven development, source control and versioning
- Strong programming skills
- Demonstrated knowledge of storage architecture and protocols
- Experience with one or more of the following web content software systems: Omeka, Wordpress, CONTENTdm, and Drupal
- Proven ability to quickly learn new systems and environments
- Possess strong technical leadership skills
- Possess excellent communication skills which demonstrate ability to convey and explain information tactfully to individuals
- Strong written communication skills which demonstrate the ability to draft clear and concise specifications and documentation
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail which demonstrate the ability to monitor priorities and performance
- Demonstrated ability to manage competing priorities and juggle changes without losing productivity
Apply Online at https://jobs.ucsc.edu/applicants/jsp/shared/frameset/Frameset.jsp?time=1362416852421
About UCSC and the library:
The UCSC campus is nestled within 2,000 acres of redwood forest and meadows, overlooking the Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary of California's beautiful Central Coast, about 70 miles from San Francisco and 30 miles from Silicon Valley. UC Santa Cruz is well known for the quality of its faculty and students, is held in highest regard for its dedication to undergraduate and graduate education, and is consistently the recipient of top national and international ratings for its research programs. It is one of ten campuses in the University of California system.
The University Library has undergone recent organizational restructuring to capitalize on its ability to adapt to changes and remain flexible while providing a high level of customer service to its patrons. McHenry Library, the recently renovated social sciences and humanities library, has increased patron usage and boasts cutting-edge technologies and many group spaces facilitating student collaboration. The Library has collections of approximately 2.2 million volumes, more than 44,000 serials, two library buildings, and a staff of approximately 100. The UCSC Library has the most intensely used collection in the UC system. Deeply imbedded in the Library’s culture is a tradition of flexibility and innovation, which has enabled it to participate actively in the University’s instruction and research programs. Excellent service is another hallmark of the UCSC Library, as is partnership with the other UC libraries and the California Digital Library.
How to apply
Sue Chesley Perry
Published: Monday, March 4, 2013 17:43 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:45 UTC