The Research Computing Division (RC) within the Computing & IT Directorate (CITD) is seeking a forward-thinking Research Information Management (RIM) Group Leader (GL) to lead teams responsible for the comprehensive management of research information, including scientific data, across technical engineering and library-oriented functions. The group’s primary objective is to support laboratory researchers through the research lifecycle, from proposal to publication, bridging the gap between advanced computational platforms and scholarly communication activities. RIM services are provided by the Research Data Team, who support the DataHub platform (research instrument connectivity, storage & access, data catalog and repository, data management planning, and data stewardship), and the Research Information Services Team who operate research library, PNNL’s information release process for scientific & technical information, and support scholarly communication activities.
The Group Leader is a technical expert who stays current on research information management topics, explores emerging software technology and is forward-leaning in testing, evaluating, and applying these technologies for research applications. The successful candidate will lead subject-matter experts to guide strategy and communication across the laboratory. This leader has:
- A deep and strategic understanding of managing digital collections of research objects and outputs and a passion and vision for re-shaping technologies and services due to shifts in the scholarly ecosystem and the urgency to manage growing collections of data, large and small.
- Demonstrable knowledge of building and maintaining research data workflows and storage and developing findable, accessible, interoperable, and reusable (FAIR) data products.
- An awareness of how data storage and sharing platforms, text and data mining, bibliometrics and other indicators of research performance, open scholarship, and open research data are being shaped by technologies such as cloud, AI and machine learning, semantic and graph data techniques; and how it is all evolving alongside government policy and publishing requirements.
The GL reports directly to the RC Director and will be responsible for:
- Directly managing two team leaders, each overseeing 8-12 staff members.
- Staying informed of the technical landscape in the scholarly communication space that includes research data management, scientific publishing tools and platforms, and national/global emerging practices; and using that awareness to inform group and division strategies.
- Being a vital member of the RC Leadership team, championing the division's strategic, tactical, and operational success in partnership with colleague-, group-, and division-level leaders.
- Overseeing the major data platforms that RC stewards for the laboratory, including DataHub (pnnl.gov) -- a suite of tools that provide enterprise-grade data management services -- while delivering user-centered, standards-based continuity across projects.
- Nurturing an intellectual environment conducive to scientific research, development, and innovation that retains and attracts the highest caliber staff and ensures appropriate mentoring and supervision of all staff from students through senior software engineers and information specialists.
- Implementing practices to recruit, develop, assess performance, and retain talented people to support current and future needs.
- Working with business development managers to establish new programs based on innovative combinations of the group and division core competencies in response to PNNL and sponsor needs.
- BS/BA and 10 years work experience -OR-
- MS/MA or higher and 8 years of experience
Highly skilled in managing data engineering projects and teams.
Expertise about current issues in scholarly communication and the intersection of libraries, research data management, and the scientific research community.
Demonstrated ability to create a strategic vision for platform development practices or a related field.
Strong record of collaboration across technical domains and delivering results in multi-disciplinary environments.
Demonstrated record of professional, technical, and management accomplishments in data engineering, platform engineering, or a related field.
Strong interpersonal and leadership skills, a love of mentoring others, and a reputation for integrity and trust.
Exceptional oral and written communication skills.
Supervisory or line-management experience and direct responsibility for capability stewardship of the technical group.
How to apply
Submitted by: firstname.lastname@example.org
Published: Tuesday, November 28, 2023 21:57 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, November 28, 2023 21:57 UTC