Systems & Open Infrastructure Librarian
The Systems & Open Infrastructure Librarian is responsible for implementing, maintaining, supporting, and enhancing a wide range of technologies and systems to provide innovative library services and ensure access to the library’s extensive range of online information resources and digital collections. This position supports library staff and local and remote library users in the use of existing information technology as well as the adoption of new and emerging technology.
The Systems & Open Infrastructure Librarian has primary responsibility for the ongoing administration of the library technology infrastructure and related resources and support to ensure accessibility, functionality, and stability.
- Routinely monitor the overall performance and security of information technology, systems, and network resources identifying and implementing system modifications as needed to optimize overall performance and security. Serve as the liaison between the library and campus technology units representing the technology needs of the library and work cooperatively on the resolution of campus-related issues impacting access to library-supported systems and resources. Liaise with campus technology units to ensure the security and preservation of library technology, data, and resources.
- Collaborate with library staff on the development and delivery of user-centered, technology-supported collections and services. As a member of the library’s Digital Initiatives Group, devise long term strategic plans for the ongoing development of information technology that keeps pace with current standards within the academic library profession. Identify emerging opportunities for enhancement or innovation in the services and resources provided through tools such as the library web site and LibAnswers.
- Contribute to collaborative initiatives to grow and develop open publishing efforts on campus. Provide a systems and technology-focused perspective around the planning, management, and sustainability of open publishing for digital scholarship and research at the library and across the university.
- Provide ongoing technical support for a variety of library systems and applications, including the institutional repository, proxy server, link resolver, archives management system, interlibrary loan management system, and other web-based applications. Assist in management and support of the libraries’ integrated library system, currently Alma-Primo. Manage and provide technical support for the library’s physical hardware and related technology, including library staff, instruction, and group work spaces. Make recommendations on possible enhancements and opportunities for innovative solutions.
- Supervise 2-4 student assistants providing library technology support including delegating tasks and project assignments, monitoring student performance, and overseeing the completion of assigned projects and the resolution of outstanding issues.
- Pursue ongoing professional development and contributes to the profession through local and national professional and scholarly activities.
Education & Experience
- MLS or MLIS from an ALA-accredited graduate program.
- Experience planning, managing, and overseeing complex technology projects.
- Experience with emerging instructional and digital library technologies.
- Three or more years of experience in information technology management and system administration.
- Experience in the support of Windows and Mac OSX computers.
- Experience with TCP/IP, network management, and client server computing.
- Experience with open source library software, such as Islandora, Omeka, Open Journal Systems, Archives space preferred.
Knowledge & Skills
- Familiarity with Microsoft System Administration, Internet Information Services (IIS), proxy authentication, and UNIX/LINUX system administration and the maintenance of Windows and Linux servers strongly preferred.
- Familiarity with library, communication and web standards such as OpenURL and Link resolvers, as well as relational database systems and applications including SQL and MS Access preferred.
- Strong service orientation, excellent oral and written communication skills, and excellent project management skills required.
- Strong commitment to ongoing professional growth and development.
To apply, visit https://iit7.peopleadmin.com/postings/9419
Illinois Institute of Technology is an EEO/AA/Title VI/Title IX/Section 504/ADA/ADEA employer dedicated to building a community of excellence, equity, inclusion and diversity. It is committed to fostering an inclusive environment and actively seeks applications from individuals of all backgrounds and identities regardless of race, color, sex, marital status, religion, national origin, disability, age, unfavorable discharge from the military, status as a protected veteran, sexual orientation including gender identity and expression, order of protection status, and/or genetic information. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment.
How to apply
Published: Wednesday, April 5, 2023 18:36 UTC
Last updated: Wednesday, April 5, 2023 18:36 UTC