JMU Libraries supports the teaching, learning, and research mission of the university. Liaison librarians are experts in information literacy and scholarly practices. We partner with specific academic units and departments to address information literacy within curricula and research activities. The successful candidate will work with the JMU College of Science & Mathematics (CSM), which offers 13 undergraduate majors, a wide variety of minors and concentrations, and two graduate programs. With 30% of faculty publications being co-authored by students, this position has opportunities to authentically connect information literacy concepts directly into this active scholarly community.
JMU Libraries particularly welcomes applicants who can enhance the diversity and excellence of our campus community, and who can demonstrate a commitment to building equitable and inclusive environments for teaching, learning, research, and service. We are committed to cultivating a welcoming place for everyone, encouraging dialogue and celebrating diverse life experiences and perspectives. We encourage experimentation and creativity in pursuit of meaningful solutions that build on our position as core academic infrastructure for our campus community.
Have questions or want to learn more? Consider attending a Question & Answer session. Links for sessions will be posted on the JMU Libraries Employment page (https://www.lib.jmu.edu/employment/ by the week of March 6.
Duties and Responsibilities
JMU Libraries seeks a proactive and collaborative library professional to provide services as a Science & Math Librarian in our Research & Education Services department. The liaison will work with the following departments: Biology, Chemistry & Biochemistry, Geology & Environmental Science, Physics & Astronomy, and Mathematics & Statistics. The candidate will provide instruction, research, and reference assistance to students and faculty. This position will help support data information literacy for the CSM. The position will support collection management efforts through regular development and review of scientific information sources. As a member of the Research & Education Services team, the candidate will also collaborate with other colleagues to provide support to interdisciplinary programs and general information literacy education.
This is a full-time, twelve-month, tenure-track position with instructional faculty status. We anticipate hiring at the rank of Assistant or Associate Professor. The successful candidate will report to the Director of Research & Education Services. The JMU Libraries faculty are governed by the policies established in our Promotion & Tenure Guidelines (https://www.jmu.edu/academic-affairs/policies-and-reports/PT-LIB.pdf) and the JMU Faculty Handbook (https://www.jmu.edu/facultyhandbook/). Individuals are evaluated annually on Job Performance, Scholarly Achievement & Professional Qualifications, and Professional Service.
· Master’s degree in Library and/or Information Science from an ALA-accredited program, or international equivalent. Current students who graduate prior to the start date are encouraged to apply. Target start date is July 2023.
· Demonstrated knowledge of best practices and trends in information literacy, such as inclusive pedagogy.
· Demonstrated user-centered approach to providing services and resources, including research consultations and reference assistance.
· Strong interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills to effectively work with diverse communities.
· Working knowledge of good project management practices, with the ability to meet deadlines and work with a high degree of accuracy.
· Articulated ability to help foster an inclusive and equitable work environment.
· Completed coursework and/or experience in science librarianship or in one of the anticipated liaison areas.
· Understanding of effective data information literacy and/or awareness of current issues related to data analysis and/or data science.
(We want to emphasize that the above preferred qualifications are not required and that we are committed to helping our future colleague develop these preferred skills if needed.)
Reasonable Accommodation Request
If you are an individual with a disability and need assistance searching or applying for jobs please contact us at (540) 568-3597 or firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also visit the JMU Human Resource Office, located at 752 Ott Street, Harrisonburg, VA 22807 and we will be happy to assist you.
Required Documents for Application
1. Cover Letter
2. Curriculum Vitae
3. Statement of Inclusive Excellence
Additional Posting Information
A Statement of Inclusive Excellence: should describe the applicant’s knowledge of and commitment to promoting and enhancing diversity, equity, inclusion and/or justice in an organizational content. The Statement of Inclusive Excellence should not focus on your personal values and experiences, but should instead focus on your actions and experiences as they relate to diversity, equity, inclusion and/or justice.
How to apply
Published: Monday, February 27, 2023 15:29 UTC
Last updated: Monday, February 27, 2023 15:29 UTC